You're the planner, the one who remembers every detail, who strives to make every experience a positive one for you and those around you. These personal characteristics, combined with your Fanshawe experience, will make you successful in the hospitality industry.
With a broad but relevant curriculum, our hotel management program will teach you about guest and reservation management systems and provide hands-on experience in food service operations at Fanshawe's on-campus restaurant and state-of-the-art kitchen facilities. You'll gain not only a diploma in hotel management but an understanding of what makes a successful business with courses in accounting, human resource management, financial management and event planning too.
Finally, our co-op placement will ensure that by the time you graduate, you will have the right combination of classroom learning from our hotel management course, as well as business know-how and practical training that employers in the food service industry are searching for. You can expect to find meaningful employment in a number of different positions within a hotel, from food service to rooms division. Fanshawe's hotel management program also provides the opportunity to explore a career as a management trainee before advancing to management.
The hotel industry isn't just confined to Canada – you can go practically anywhere after you complete your hotel management diploma. You can choose to continue your education with postgraduate programs or pursue a degree in International Hotel Management at Royal Roads University.
Where you go and what you do is, of course, up to you.
OSSD with courses from the College (C), University (U),
University/College (M), or Open (O) stream WITH:
- Any Grade 12 English (C) or (U)
- Any Grade 11 Mathematics* (C), (U), or (M)
Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE)
Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) AND:
-Any Grade 11 Mathematics* (C), (U) or (M)
Mature Applicant with standing in the required courses stated above
- *Applicants who lack the required Mathematics may still gain eligibility for admission by completing appropriate prior upgrading.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 79 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.0 with no score less than 5.5 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 60 with no score less than 50 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 53, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 169 with no language skill less than 162, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 70% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 8, 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9, or 70% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Academic Preparation
- Grade 11 and Grade 12 Hospitality and Tourism (C)
- Any Grade 11 or Grade 12 Entrepreneurship (C) or (O)
- Grade 11 Information and Communication Technology: The Digital Environment (O) OR Grade 12 Information and Communication Technology: Multimedia Solutions (C)
- Grade 11 Financial Accounting Fundamentals (M)
- Grade 12 Financial Accounting Principles (M)
- Grade 12 Business and Technological Communication (O)
- Grade 12 Mathematics (C), (U), or (M)
- International Languages
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE): Business or Technical Mathematics course and Computer Skills course
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Explore the hospitality industry through customer service experiences in hospitality establishments.
- Experience customs and cultures of business etiquette through personal experiences with personal, academic or business contacts
- If possible seek employment or volunteer experience in the hospitality industry.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
Graduates will find career opportunities in hospitality organizations both nationally and internationally. Career options include hotels, resorts, entertainment facilities, cruise ships, casinos, retirement residences, and food and beverage. Students will progress in their career paths into supervisory and management positions in all areas of the industry.