Design with Purpose
If you do not have a portfolio representing the foundation courses, the Graphic Design & Foundation for Design program is for you. In this program students learn the fundamentals of design, typography, illustration and production procedures. They are trained in the use of the latest industry software and graduate knowing how to meet the graphic design needs of their clients quickly, creatively and economically. Graduates know how to use powerful imagery to convey ideas and emotion.
Graphic Design & Foundation for Design graduates will have acquired the training and developed the portfolio necessary to interview for entry-level positions in advertising agencies, design studios, publishing houses, web development companies, corporate communications departments, and television studios.
This program consists of 90 credits over 6 quarters.
Magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, publishing houses, engineering companies, builders, packaging, and web development companies all require the specialized skills of graphic designers.
- History of Art in Early Civilization
- Fundamentals of Desig
- Colour Theory
- Digital Imaging
- Concept Development
- History and Analysis of Design
- Advanced Typography
- Electronic Design
- Production Procedures
- Photoshop for Prepress
- Digital Illustration
- Corporate Identity
- Dimensional Design
- Art Direction
- Design and Technology
- Foundation of Electronic Production
- Portfolio I
- Portfolio II
- Advertising Design
- Senior Project
- Digital Visual Composition
- Life Drawing I
- Computer Animation for Multimedia
- Professional Development
- Fundamentals of the World Wide Web
- Web Site Development I
- Web Site Development II
Alumni have taken a range of career paths, including specializing in web design, freelancing, designing for film and TV, and working for large corporations and small companies. Magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, publishing houses, engineering companies, builders, packaging, and web development companies all require graphic designers.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Prepares students to work in communication design
- Hands-on training by graphic designers who work in the field
- Build a portfolio to showcase work
- Innovative programming in a state-of-the-art environment
- Program consists of 90 credits over six quarters
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
Students learn essential design techniques to produce graphics for print, web, brand development and other media. Graduates know how to convey clear, concise and compelling messages and how to present a series of project ideas to clients.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge with a focus on digital graphic design.
- The basics in areas like colour, illustration, image manipulation and explore concept development.
- First-hand knowledge of product packaging, posters, art direction and branding.
- To provide solutions in a global and competitive context, as well as acquire an entrepreneurial vision.
- Preparation and training allowing you to seek employment within the design field.
- To influence and lead design innovation within a dynamic, evolving field.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Creatives with a strong focus on design
- Interested in technology and art
- Eager to learn new techniques related to programming and design
- Computer savvy and familiar with various programs
- Those who value merging creative endeavours with practical applications for an exciting career
About the School
Located at the bottom of the west coastal mountains, LaSalle College Vancouver has welcomed students from around the world. LaSalle College Vancouver is an award winning higher education provider offe ... Read More