Ensuring that there's the power to run our towns, cities, hospitals, schools and the economy is a satisfying and respected career option. If the joy of having a dynamic and in-demand career is your goal, Fanshawe's Electrical Engineering Technician program will provide the skills and experience to light up your future with limitless potential.
You'll begin your AutoCAD training and PLC training by learning the basics: electrical fundamentals, automation, and power generation and distribution. While pursuing your AutoCAD certification, you'll continuously apply the knowledge you obtain from the AutoCAD courses in real-world situations, working alongside your mentors and classmates with state-of-the-art technology and lab access. You'll also study PLCs, power generation and distribution systems, energy management, and conservation. Your skills will be as diverse as the constantly evolving electrical landscape.
By the time you graduate from our AutoCAD course, you'll have the skills necessary to wire residential and industrial projects, along with the ability to work on hydraulic/pneumatic systems, programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and industrial automation.
Specialists in electrical consumption and conservation techniques have never been more sought after in today's changing economy. Are you ready to power-up your career?
ELN2 Program Progression
||Start Level 1
||Class Level 2
||Class Level 3
||Class Level 4/End
OSSD with courses from the College (C), University (U), University/College (M), or Open (O) stream with:
- Mathematics one of:
- Grade 12 Mathematics for College Technology* (C)
- Grade 12 Advanced Functions (U)
- Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors (U)
- Grade 12 Foundations for College Mathematics (C)
Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE)
Pre-Technology Ontario College Certificate
Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) and:
- Mathematics one of:
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 79 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.0 with no score less than 5.5 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 60 with no score less than 50 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 53, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 169 with no language skill less than 162, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 70% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 8, 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9, or 70% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Academic Preparation
- Grade 12 Business and Technological Communication (O)
- Grade 11 or Grade 12 Physics (C) or (U)
- Grade 11 or Grade 12 Manufacturing Technology (C)
- Grade 11 or Grade 12 Computer Engineering Technology (M)
- Grade 11 or Grade 12 Communications Technology (M)
- It is recommended that students in the Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE) program take a Technical or Apprenticeship Mathematics course within the ACE program.
- Credit for any course in the program will be given to students who can demonstrate that they have the required skills to meet the learning outcomes of the course.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
Admission to the Fanshawe College Pre-Technology program does not guarantee admission in a subsequent year to the Electrical Engineering Technician program. Successful completion of the Fanshawe College Pre-Technology program, however, does enable the student to be given additional consideration when applying to the Electrical Engineering Technician program. The Pre-Technology program is the preferred designated preparatory program for admission to the Electrical Engineering Technician program.
Career opportunities exist not only with manufacturers of electrical equipment and electrical power utilities but with the many industrial firms which use electrical equipment. Graduates work in areas such as electrical maintenance, field service, drafting, quality control, and technical sales.