Early Childhood Educators (ECE) plan and lead activities for preschool children to encourage their intellectual, physical, emotional, social, linguistic and cultural growth. After completing an ECE certificate, graduates are eligible for the Post-Basic diploma. This diploma trains ECEs to work with infants, toddlers, and children with special needs, making them favorable for hiring.
Over the course of this program, students will:
- Learn techniques to work with children requiring extra support from infancy to school age
- Develop skills to handle a wider range of administrative and supervisory responsibilities
- Gain insight as to the development of infants and toddlers
- Duration: 28 weeks, including a 12-week practicum
- Delivery Method: In-class and online
- Language: English
- Intakes: March and August
- Credential Awarded: Diploma
- Articulation/Pathway: Graduates granted transfer credits toward BCIT’s Business Management Advanced Diploma – upon completion they can continue to BCIT’s Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
Stenberg’s Early Childhood Education Post-Basic Diploma is offered online, allowing you to continue working throughout your studies. Every other Saturday, students meet in-class for the hands-on portion. If you work at a childcare facility supporting infants, toddlers, or children with specialized needs, you might be able to do your practicum at your place of work. Courses that will prepare you for career advancement include:
- Administration Skills for Childcare Centers
- Foundations of Working with Infants and Toddlers
- Foundations of Working with Children with Special Needs
- Advanced Child Growth and Development
- Interacting with Families, Schools and Communities
Those with Post-Basic education are eligible for positions including:
- Manager/Director/Supervisor of Child Development Centers
- Infant Toddler Educator/Consultant
- Special Needs Educator/Supported Childcare Consultant
In addition to full-time work, there are opportunities for part-time and self-employment, such as owning and operating your own licensed childcare center.
- Passing English verbal test if English is a second language
- Successful completion of an ECE Basic (Certificate) level program
- Completion of a Criminal Record Consent Form under the Criminal Record Review Act
- Completion of the Online Computer Skills
- Entrance Test with a score of 70% or higher
- Passing Stenberg College entrance interview
Language Proficiency Requirements: Overall IELTS Academic Test score of 6.0 with no component less than 6.0 for Speaking and Listening, 5.5 for Reading and Writing (or other ESL equivalencies as determined by Stenberg). Must be within the last two years.
This school offers programs in English.