A Photographer's Eye
Photography is about so much more than taking a good photo; it’s about understanding light and form, technology and software, editing and finishing. The Digital Photography Diploma program teaches students the essentials of the craft, preparing them for an exciting and diverse career in photography.
While developing an understanding of their visual style, students develop professional standards and skills to guide their career. In the digital age, there’s a market for people who known how to create professional-level photos. The Digital Photography Diploma helps students grow the needed skills to build a rewarding career in photography.
Students have the opportunity to explore the principles of photographic design and the significance of visual style in the commercial sector; study the application of professional cameras, lenses, and related processes as they apply to commercial uses such as editorial or advertising photography; and to learn to use contemporary photographic imaging equipment and software in industry related facilities.
This program consists of 60 credits over 4 quarters.
- Colour Theory
- Digital Imaging
- Introduction to Digital Film Editing
- Digital Film Editing
- Principles of Photography
- Introduction to Photography
- Digital Image Management
- Photographic Design
- History of Photography 1
- View Camera Theory
- Colour Management & Printing
- Studio Photography
- Photographic Post-Production
- Business of Photography
- Portfolio I
- Advanced Photographic Post-Production
- Marketing for Photographers
- Web Site Development I
Students graduate from the Digital Photography program with the training and portfolio required to pursue positions such as a photographic technician, photographer’s assistant, digital imaging artist, product or still-life photographer, and editorial photographer. Alumni work in studios, advertising agencies, publishing houses, production companies, newspapers and magazines, or as freelancers.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Acquire the skills necessary to manipulate light to achieve stellar creative results
- Innovative programming in a state-of-the-art environment
- Learn on equipment, software and technology currently being used in the industry
- Program consists of 60 credits over four quarters.
- Faculty have extensive experience and the latest technical knowledge
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
Our program merges the creative and technical elements of photography to ensure graduates are prepared to work in the field. LaSalle College Vancouver’s program includes small classrooms for enhanced personalized attention. Students also study the equipment – professional cameras and lenses, and the processes applied to editorial and advertising photography.
- A thorough understanding of studio and location equipment used in the production of industry quality photography.
- Understanding of current theoretical and practical knowledge.
- An ability to work collaboratively with other creatives
- Extensive knowledge of equipment, software and technology currently being used in industry
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Those interested in photography, visual art
- Comfortable with technology and feedback
- Eager to learn new skills and be challenged
- Creatives with a good eye and sense of composition