The Craft of Filmmaking
LaSalle College Vancouver’s Digital Film and Video Diploma program prepares students for a rewarding career behind the camera. Students learn about every aspect of film and video production including digital video cameras, editing and graphics software. Students explore everything from how to create everything from broadcast news to motion pictures as they learn to write and direct the story of their future. Students learn all areas of pre-production, such as screenwriting, scripting, production, location scouting and casting. They also go behind the camera to study production in camera operations, directing, producing, and post-production in editing, digital finishing and media management.
The curriculum, designed in consultation with industry representatives, is intended to prepare students to seek entry-level positions in digital filmmaking and related industries. The Digital Film & Video program is best suited for highly-motivated, self-starters who want a well-rounded education to assist them in preparing to seek entry-level employment in digital film and video production.
This program consists of 90 credits over 6 quarters.
- Introduction to Digital Film Editing
- Digital Film Editing
- Introduction to Video Production
- Television and Film Production Techniques
- Visual Storytelling and Aesthetics
- Concept Development and Scriptwriting
- Introduction to Cinematography
- Introduction to Production Planning
- Applications in Video Production
- Working With Actors
- Film Studies
- Colour Theory for Digital Media and the Web
- Location Audio
- Sound Design for Film
- Motion Graphics and Compositing
- Electronic Field Production
- Short-Form Media Production
- Documentary Filmmaking
- Advanced Project Production
- Music Video Production
- Media Business: Law, Marketing and Distribution
- Business Development & Communications
- Social Media Strategy
- Professional Development and Portfolio
- Advanced Project Preproduction
- Media Management and Delivery 3 Applied Elective
Graduates go on to work as executive producers, camera operators, video game producers, visual effects editors, film and TV editors and producers. Alumni have worked on such major productions as Riverdale, Deadpool, Warcraft, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the BC Lions, Vancouver White Caps, Steve Nash Fitness and ads for Ferrari and Bacardi.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Learn with the latest in equipment, software and technology
- Innovative programming in a state-of-the-art environment
- Small classes with enhanced personalized attention
- Access to faculty with extensive industry experience
- Program consists of 90 credits over six quarters.
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
The curriculum, designed in consultation with industry representatives, provides students a hands-on understanding of the entire production process, from pre- to post-production. They gain highly sought-after skills required to enter and maintain a successful career in digital filmmaking and related industries.
- The role of the writer, producer, director, camera operator and lighting technician.
- To build and foster a network of industry insiders to help foster their work and projects.
- Knowledge and skills required to work with emerging digital technologies available in the film industry.
- Digital production and visual storytelling focusing on narrative film, documentary film, and corporate and commercial video production.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Those interested in film and TV
- Comfortable with technology
- Eager to learn new skills and be challenged
- Creatives with a strong work ethic and an interest in film
About the School
Located at the bottom of the west coastal mountains, LaSalle College Vancouver has welcomed students from around the world. LaSalle College Vancouver is an award winning higher education provider offe ... Read More