You’ve got a vast imagination. You love film and TV. If you just had the tools and knowledge, who knows what incredible work you could do?
Yoobee’s Diploma in Digital Design – Animation and Film Production is your ticket into the amazing world of film and animation. This trailblazing qualification is fun, practical, and packed with skills that you’ll use for the rest of your professional life. You’ll gain the ultimate foundation for a career in animation and film, your door to higher-level study or an entry-level job. Go on. Open it!
Successfully complete this course and you’ll receive the NZ Diploma in Digital Media and Design (Level 5). You’ll be skilled. You’ll be inspired. Quite frankly, you’ll be unstoppable.
Sound epic? Read on!
Forget mediocre. Become a master. This course is designed with the latest industry demands in mind. That means you’ll graduate with cutting-edge, relevant skills that will keep you ahead of the pack. Complete four ten-week modules using industry standard processes.
- Design Foundation – these core skills are a must for any budding designer. Get the skinny on current industry processes, so you can hit the ground running once you nail a job.
- Audio & Visual Production – create a short film from going to whoa. That means everything from concepts, scripting and shooting through to audio and editing.
- Animation Principles – this is where the magic really starts. Learn how to bring characters and worlds to life using 2D and 3D animation.
- 3D Model & Composite – design and model 3D objects, blend them with some live footage and create some insanely cool visual effects.
Where could this take you
Dip your toes into the world of animation and film, and the opportunities are quite literally limitless. Natural born storyteller? Technical whiz? Creative visionary? Wherever your strengths lie, there’s a perfect place for you to shine in this exciting industry. This programme begins your journey towards these career opportunities...
- CHARACTER ANIMATOR – create characters for film, TV, video games and mobile applications, using animation software, 3D modeling, 2D animations - and even puppetry!
- COMPOSITOR – make your mark at the end of the production process by creatively combining all the elements into the final image.
- ASSISTANT PRODUCER – assist the producer in overseeing different stages of the production pipeline. Duties can include anything from supervising the production design team to coordinating the work of visual effects companies.
- SCRIPTWRITER – know how to tell a good yarn? Share your stories with the world by writing screenplays for films, TV, comics and video games.
- CINEMATOGRAPHER – play a crucial role in achieving the director’s vision for the look of the film. As head of the camera and lighting departments, you’ll be in charge of shooting.
Student work and success
It didn’t take long for Filmmaking and Advanced 3D Graphics graduate Sam Edmonds to make his mark in the industry. Yoobee taught him everything from operating cameras to motion graphics and sound design. He developed a large base of skills and a sound understanding of all aspects of the production pipeline. Sam passed his diploma with distinction and was awarded a Behance medal for best showreel during his studies. An internship at Studio Local enabled him to cut his teeth on some pretty cool projects (including motion graphics-based commercials for some cool European companies). And now he has the ultimate job as post effects and motion graphics artist at Buildmedia.
This is an entry-level programme but we still need to be sure you’re ready to take it on. You’ll need NCEA Level 3 with at least one subject in a relevant field or some examples of your work that showcase your skills in animation and film.
Haven’t got those? Don’t sweat it! Yoobee has an awesome line up of foundation courses that will get you up to speed. In fact, students who complete our Level 3 iCreate programme gain automatic entry into this diploma.
*If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need an IELTS 5.5 Academic (no subtests lower than 5.0) or equivalent.
This is a brand-new programme for 2016, totally relevant and designed with the latest industry demands in mind. You’ll study four 10-week modules, and complete an in-depth assessment of each.
- Module 1: Design Foundation – gain core skills that are a must for any designer. Learn about current industry processes so you can fit right into the workplace.
- Module 2: Audio & Visual Production – create a short film from start to finish, including concepts, scripting, shooting, audio, and editing.
- Module 3: Animation Principles – learn how to produce and work with 2D and 3D animation, bringing characters and worlds to life.
- Module 4: 3D Model & Composite – design and model 3D objects, then combine them with live footage to produce incredible visual effects.
Assessment: Each module will be assessed by a project, completed using industry-standard processes.
- 23 July 2018 – 5 July 2019
- 23 July 2018 – 5 July 2019
- 23 July 2018 – 5 July 2019
Domestic students: $7,866.28 Eligible for 'Fees-Free' study
International students: 18,950 + $1,600 resource fee
These might vary depending on the brand you buy and your individual needs.
- 1 visual diary
- Software manuals
- 300 print credits
You’ll need to buy:
- USB 3.0 external HDD (1TB or more) - $120
- Over the ear headphones (not earbuds) - $50 to $200
- Two 16GB SD cards (UHS-I grade or better) - $30 each
- Wacom tablet - $150 to $400
Other stuff you might need:
- Extra print credits – up to $80 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Sundry stationery – up to $100
Equipment & Software
* PC or Apple computers* DSLR cameras
* Sound recording equipment (for audio production)
* Video production room with green screen and lighting
* Adobe Photoshop
* Adobe Illustrator
* Adobe After Effects
* Adobe Premiere Pro
* Autodesk Maya