If baking is your passion, or you are looking for a way to turn your creative hobby into an in-demand and rewarding career, this two-year diploma program in baking and pastry arts will give you the skills to turn your dreams into reality. Baking courses give you extensive knowledge of baking bread, cakes, and pastries and learn all aspects of the culinary baking experience.
Baking courses with the right mix
You'll begin the baking program by studying the key aspects of baking and patisserie theory, nutrition, purchasing, menu planning, bake and café shop design. You'll also learn theories of small business planning, kitchen management, sales, and marketing.
The heart of the baking program has an intense focus on baking courses including bread, cakes, and pastries. You'll create contemporary and modern style desserts. Further on in the program, chocolates, bonbons, petit fours, and marzipan creations are explored. Intricate high skilled patisserie products including tiered wedding cakes and artistic showpieces made from boiled sugar, gum paste and pastillage are the highlights of this baking program.
Today's customer is interested in researching the products they consume and will favor locally grown, organic and sustainable produce. You'll be trained to meet this need and will be able to provide products to a sophisticated consumer base within the rapidly growing hospitality industry.
Career opportunities in Baking and Pastry Arts
Graduates will be well prepared to join a variety of culinary teams in restaurants, hotels, cruise lines, catering companies, bakeries and pastry shops.
If your goal is to join a culinary team or start your own small business in baking culinary arts, then we can help you make these sweet dreams become a reality!
Continuous intake: Winter, Summer, Fall.
- Level 1 and level 2 academic in-school delivery.
- Level 3 externship.
- Level 4 academic in-school delivery.
- Level 5 academic in-school delivery.
OSSD with courses from the College (C), University (U), University/College (M), or Open (O) stream with:
- Any Grade 12 English (C) or (U)
- Any Grade 11 Mathematics* (C), (U), or (M)
Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE)
Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) and:
- Any Grade 11 Mathematics* (C), (U) or (M)
Mature Applicant with standing in the required courses stated above
*Applicants who lack the required Mathematics may still gain eligibility for admission by completing appropriate prior upgrading.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 79 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.0 with no score less than 5.5 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 60 with no score less than 50 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 53, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 169 with no language skill less than 162, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 70% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 8, 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9, or 70% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Academic Preparation
- Grade 11 Food and Culture (M)
- Grade 11 and Grade 12 Hospitality and Tourism (C)
- Grade 12 Nutrition and Health (C)
- Grade 11 Information and Communication Technology: The Digital Environment (O) or Grade 12 Information and Communication Technology: Multimedia Solutions (C)
- Any Grade 11 or Grade 12 Entrepreneurship (C) or (O)
- Grade 12 Business and Technological Communication (O)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE): Business Mathematics course OR Technical Mathematics course and Computer Skills course
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Develop an interest in baking preparation and service by visiting restaurants and hotels
- Develop an interest in the foods and customs of other countries
- Develop leadership skills
- The kind of person who enters the field of hospitality should be responsible, personable and should enjoy working with people in a challenging industry
- Employment in the hospitality industry would be an asset
Applicants may apply for advanced standing on the basis of previous academic achievement at another institution and/or Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR). Advanced standing qualifies the applicant's direct entry to a second or higher level of the program.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
- Valid Safe Food Handler Certificate
- Valid Smart Serve Certificate
- Valid First Aid/ CPR Certificate
There is a great demand for qualified trained bakers and pastry cooks in the food and beverage industry. Graduates can expect to be eligible for a variety of entry-level positions in a broad range of Food Service Operations, from fast food or bakeries to hotels as well as commercial and industrial baking and pastry operations. Positions attained can range from line cook, pastry cook, baker and cake decorator, assistant chocolatier and assistant patissier.