In this program, students build on a foundation in drawing, colour, design and computer applications. Students have the opportunity to develop advanced techniques in various aspects of computer graphics and animation. The Animation Art and Design Diploma program provides graduates the chance to build the necessary technical and creative skills to demonstrate and present their talents to the film and game industries. Students learn how to merge art and science with hands-on training from top animators in the field.
In this program, students begin with a foundation in drawing, colour, design, and computer applications. Students have the opportunity to develop advanced skills in various aspects of computer graphics and animation.
Students use the tools of the computer animation profession, ranging from computer operating systems to three-dimensional modeling. These tools are designed to enhance a student’s flexibility and creativity to produce an individualized digital portfolio that demonstrates their practical and technical abilities to potential employers.
This program consists of 105 credits over 7 quarters.
- Drawing and Perspective
- Design and Color Theory
- Introduction to Digital Arts
- Basic 3D Concepts
- Digital Imaging
- Life Drawing I
- Concept Design and Illustration
- 2D Animation I
- 3D Animation I
- 3D Modeling I
- Life Drawing II
- CG Lightning and Rendering I
- 2D Animation II
- 3D Animation Body Mechanics
- 3D Animation Acting and Pantomime
- Life Drawing III
- Vector Animation I
- Advanced Body Mechanics
- Digital Story Boarding Pre-Visualization
- Pre-Production Team
- Advanced Acting and Performance
- Animation Studio
- Vector Animation II
- Production Team
- Final Diploma Captone
- Portfolio II
Entry-level employment opportunities for graduating students may include 3D Animator, 2D Animator (traditional and vector based), Technical Animator, Video Game Animator, VFX Animator, Junior Production Designer, Motion Capture Artist, Junior Modeler, Junior Texture Artist, Render Wrangler, and a host of related entry-level animation production positions.
Training in Animation Art and Design opens doors to multiple industries, extending beyond entertainment and media to working in digital arts for branding firms, government and legal agencies and multinational companies. The Animation Art and Design Diploma program prepares students for an exciting and creative career in 3D animation, 2D animation (traditional and vector based), video game animation, VFX animation, production design, motion capture art, junior modeling, texture art and more.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Prepares students to work in gaming, film, TV and beyond
- Program consists of 105 credits over seven quarters
- Hands-on training from industry experts
- Build a portfolio to showcase work
- Innovative instruction in a state-of-the-art environment
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
Students use the tools of the profession, ranging from computer operating systems to three-dimensional modeling. These tools are designed to enhance a student’s flexibility and creativity to produce an individualized digital portfolio that demonstrates their practical and technical abilities to potential employers.
- To apply learned concepts from foundation level design courses: design principles and terminology, research, critical analysis, prototyping, art design and animation.
- Technical knowledge of design tools and software in accordance with current industry standards.
- Practical understanding and application of the principles of animation and platform-specific design.
- Professionalism through the process of conceptualizing, planning, executing, and delivering quality animation projects.
- Ability to work on team-based animation development projects.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Creatives with a strong focus in programming, math, physics and design
- Interested in design, drawing, technology
- Eager to learn new skills related to programming and design
- Computer savvy and familiar with various programs
- Those who value merging creative endeavours with practical applications for an exciting career
- Career Opportunities