This diploma provides students with the knowledge and skills required for guiding adventure tourism ventures. In particular, the specialist areas are: rafting skills; sea kayaking; ropes; anchors and rope skills; mountain skills and trip leadership skills.
To achieve the award of the Diploma in Adventure Tourism students must pass a total of 120 credits, including:
- 60 compulsory credits;
- 30 credits from the Options List; and
- 30 elective credits at Level 4 or above.
Knowledge and skills you will gain
Graduates will be able to:
- competently raft guide at Grade 2 and/or 3;
- undertake the external examination for sea kayaking instructor level;
- apply the base skills required to pathway to mountain industry, including rope systems;
- perform ambulance and ski-level pre-hospital emergency care;
- accomplish leadership tasks including risk management, environmental judgements and business start up;
- perform outdoor activities with an understanding of the impacts of adventure tourism in terms of cultural and historical aspects and also legislative regulations; and
- pursue an area of interest.
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations.
Program taught in:
See 18 more programs offered by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology »
Last updated November 16, 2018
This course is