»DESIGN THINKING« THE MINDSET OF HUMAN-CENTERED INNOVATION Design Thinking is a process for creating elegant user-centered solutions in multidisciplinary teams. But it’s much more than that: it is a mindset — another way of tackling challenges: empathetic and hands-on. Don’t talk, do! Implemented in daily work, the problem-solving potential of Design Thinking finds its expression in the form of a living innovation culture. This is, even more, the case when truly desirable solutions are sought. How this works in detail can be experienced in this workshop. In this two weeks you will experience and learn core competencies for your work in creative and innovative fields. You will go through the whole Design Thinking process multiple times in small teams. It starts with understanding the challenge, doing field research, to find a point of view; ideate on your insights to create prototypes and test your solution with users. You and your team are the most valuable resources. It is important to broach conflicts, create dynamics and make use of the different team competences for the right tasks. Therefore, we give guidance and tutorials full of creative methods — like idea-typing and brain-swarming — which you will use freely and extensively to provoke a lot of ideas. Design Thinking is structured, quick and dirty. It is always time-timed, which enforces quick decision making, in order to push for wild and spontaneous ideas. This mood is perfect to come up with truly innovative solutions for products or services. The goal is to become empathetic with your user and create the perfect solution. You will work with your head and with your hands. That means no computer, no endless lectures, no powerpoint slides, no e-mails and no documents, but a lot of movement, interaction, intuition, fun and an ocean of post-its. Don’t worry, just be curious! The challenge to be processed in this workshop is a real one from the context of Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Carolin and Julius, experienced Design Thinking Coaches, will guide you through the process, as well as support each team on their journey to innovation. Educational target: You will gain deep insights and hands-on-experience with Design Thinking. Results of the workshop are a comprehensive, well-informed, user-centered solution with various prototypes. The course language is English.
Certificate & Credit Points
After successful completion of this course you will receive a certificate of participation. It will show the course title, the date and duration of the course, the number of contact hours as well as the main contents and topics. Participants will earn 3 credit points (ECTS). The course takes place all day from Monday until Friday. It is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons to receive credit points.
The course addresses pupils, students as well as alumni, who are open-minded, self-aware and interested in having fun and working in multidisciplinary teams.
1. Online Registration In order to register, please complete our registration form. 2. Documents Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2017 as one pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae: max. two pages
- Myer-Briggs Personality Test: Please take the online test (duration: ca. 10 min.) and add a screenshot of the results to your application document.
- T-Profile: Please fill out your "T-Profile" and add it to your application document. You are free to be as creative as you like.
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
Please note the following points:
- All application documents submitted as one pdf document (max. 5 MB)
- Name of pdf document »Design_Thinking_family name_first name«
- Email with subject »Application_Design_Thinking«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED! 3. Selection Process All applicants will receive admission notification by 15 May 2017 via e-mail and will have to confirm participation within 3 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list. After you have confirmed your participation, you will receive the invoice for your specialized course until the end of May. If you need a VISA, we recommend to inform now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country. A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee is 700 EURO.
- 500 EURO for students & alumni
- 300 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Program according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying program (except excursions)
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar