The strong impact caused amongst foreign students in regards to Mediterranean culture, customs, and traditions, makes it advisable to impart this course in which the intensive divulgation of Mediterranean culture will be paired up with guidance regarding college students' health, their possible worries about it and their integration in a university campus such us hours, that has the maintenance of health as one of its objectives. The myths and topics about Mediterranean culture must be substituted from the very first moment by truthful, ample, rigorous and strictly academic information. Therefore, introducing foreign students to a viewpoint which combines the characteristics of Mediterranean culture with the insight that, in this case, the Universidad de Almería can give about itself as located within the time and space of an environment that aspires to have its own identity and singularity.
Philosophy as an area of knowledge has within its most important lines of investigation the study of health from the perspective of the care of the self. Young college students' health, as care of themselves, is one of the transversal and more general objectives that any university of our time has to address. This course isn't about healthy practices nor does it recommend activities for the promotion of health, that are part of the normalized information that UAL gives each of its members, but a fundamental part of university education, that must turn the young students into educators, transmitters, and promoters of care of the self as the basis of health, as in it being a personal and non-transferrable responsibility.
- Divulge the Mediterranean culture and customs from the perspective of the intangible culture and popular customs.
- Introduce the health perspective as the main axis of the foreign students' stay at UAL.
- Divulge UAL's campus conditions, and the ones of the civic and provincial environment, as a healthy context that allows a vast quantity of healthy practices.
- Put the students in contact with national youth culture manifestations, and the knowledge of other young people, without forgetting the locals' perspective as one that is reclaimed as universal and cosmopolitan.
- Establish channels for socialization for foreign students within the local college student community and UAL's local, provincial and regional environment.
Unit 1: Mediterranean thought and culture
- Characteristics of thought regarding literary, artistic and patrimonial culture y Mediterranean culture.
- Historical, cultural and religious patrimony of Andalucía.
- Attitudes and values of the Mediterranean culture. A university institution's perspective.
Unit 2: Mediterranean customs and landscape
- Landscape patrimony and its healthy enjoyment.
- Food-related customs and their health risks.
- Festivities in the context of Mediterranean culture. Tradition and modernity of ludic-festive activities.
- Leisure and free time. Their formative and educational dimensions.
Unit 3: Health in college students
- Health and care of the self.
- Health in college students.
- Unhealthy customs related to juvenile leisure.
Unit 4: International students and Mediterranean culture
- Integration of international students in Mediterranean culture and customs. The college student's perspective.
- Freedom, autonomy, and responsibility in leisure and substance consumption.
- Cultural tourism.
Unit 5: Outing through the historic center
Focus the activity not as much in patrimonial themes but in the aspect of Almería as a healthy city (cycle lane, sharing spaces, places dedicated to ludic activities, etc), emphasized in a visit to the Central Market, as axis and vector of a healthy city.
Each unit will be given in English and in Spanish. We expect that in being bilingual it could serve as a Spanish course for foreign students. To familiarize foreign students with vocabulary and expressions that are shaped by idiomatic uses and Andalusian and Almeriense idioms, the following languages will be taken into account: French, German, Italian, and Portuguese. From this perspective, the course lays out rigorous information, but with the high informational character that the university context provides. This translates into an informative program paired up with brief examples in short, clear, texts in Spanish as to encourage the reading of our most renown authors, such as Machado, Lorca o María Zambrano, as well as graphic material about the patrimony like documentaries on customs and popular traditions of our environment. The approach of our course is far from being professional and scholarly, but it has the will to introduce the students to a culture that goes beyond the usual topics that students trade in. The participants will be handed brief documentation in a .pdf format about the contents of the course with bibliographical references, documentaries, and links to online resources.
Professional Visits and Supplementary Activities
Outing to Almería's Historic Center with the objective of showcasing our customs, emphasizing health-related aspects, which would the done through the visit to the Central Market, and the recreative areas of the city. We will ensure to make the route on a bike to divulge the importance of its use and the knowledge of our city's cycle lane's design and extension, and to showcase its value as a means of transport.
Evaluation will be carried out following two procedures:
- Class attendance.
- A test exam in Spanish about the main contents of the course, to check the proper utilization of the assets provided.
Program taught in: