Translation plays a fundamental role in the communication process between people of different languages. The growing globalization has led to an increase in the need for communication in recent years among people from all over the world whose languages do not coincide. In addition, the increase in social and commercial relations at the international level has made translation one of the professions with the most future prospects. In fact, most recent studies predict that this discipline will continue to increase its share of business in the next. Given this situation, it is essential to train qualified personnel capable of performing linguistic mediation functions in a professional manner. This course aims to complement the training of translation students, modern languages or any other discipline that have an interest in knowing the characteristics of professional translation in the different areas of specialty that are included in this profession. The Universidad de Almería offers, among its curricula, subjects dedicated to this discipline, for which it counts on professors specialized in literary translation, documentation and sworn translation, among others, being, some of its members, official Sworn Translators named by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. With the participation of this faculty, as well as experts and active professionals of recognized prestige at the national level, this course aims, from an eminently practical point of view, to provide participating students with the knowledge, skills, skills and tools needed for the performance of the professional level translation. Being a universal discipline whose particularities do not vary depending on the country in which it is practiced, it is especially attractive for international students who wish to complete their training in order to enter this profession. The development of this course has the support of the Spanish Professional Association of Translators and Interpreters (APETI) and with the collaboration of the Faculty of Humanities of the Universidad de Almería and the Research Group HUM-874 "Women, Literature and Society" .
- Know the basic foundations of translation and the main theories on translation.
- Distinguish the different specialties within the translation.
- Acquire basic knowledge about documentation to perform effective searches.
- Know the different types of tools and resources necessary for professional translation.
- Become familiar with the different areas of specialized professional translation, including sworn or official translation, audiovisual translation, literary translation and commercial and advertising translation.
- Thorough knowledge of the work of a professional translator and how to deal with a real translation assignment.
Module 1: Introduction to professional translation
- Translation theories and procedures
- Types of translation in the current market
- Text typologies
- Professional translation strategies
Module 2: Translation and documentation tools
- Techniques and documentation resources
- Information resources, search engines and terminology managers
- Computer-assisted translation (TAO) tools
- Linguistic verification tools
Module 3: Professional specialized translation
Fundamentals and practices of the following types of specialized translation:
- Audiovisual translation, videogame localization and mobile applications.
- Literary translation
- Commercial and advertising translation
- Legal and sworn or official translation
- Other types of specialized translation
Module 4: Professional practice of translation
- Legal procedures
- How to deal with a request
- Customer requirements
- Translation rates
- Translation agencies and associations.
The methodology of this course will be eminently practical, encouraging participation and interaction among students, collaborative work, the realization and presentation of group work, problem-based learning, simulations and role plays and the development of groups of debate.
The sessions will be taught, depending on the needs, in lecture rooms of theory and in the computer rooms of the Universidad de Almería . In addition, some sessions will be held in the language laboratory of the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Almeria.
Since the linguistic combination of this course is ENGLISH-SPANISH, the language of instruction of the course will be English and Spanish.
Professional Visits and Complementary Academic Activities
The realization of this course contemplates the realization of visits to companies and local public services where the students can observe, at first hand, the real development of the profession. These visits include:
- Companies such as Ofilingua or Seprotec
- Police station
- Hospital centers
- Tourism offices
In addition, the course includes the participation of active professionals of recognized prestige in the field of professional translation in Spain.
In this course a continuous evaluation will be carried out in which the following criteria will be considered:
- Assistance (minimum of 80%)
- Active participation in class
- Completion of tasks and individual orders
- Realization and presentation of group work
- Realization of final evaluation exercises.
Program taught in: