This university degree course is a complete programme to become a modern barman.
Master modern cocktail making and the latest techniques of avant-guard cuisine applied to the preparation of cocktails .
An intensive programme with a duration of 2 months, which includes study visits, master classes by prominent bartenders, a final project supported by tutors and work experience in the industry.
A study plan that will provide you with a global vision that will enable you to master all the technical aspects of cocktail preparation and understand the business as well as the cocktail bar customer.
The degree is jointly awarded by Mondragon University and the Faculty of Gastronomic Sciences of the Basque Culinary Centre.
- Graduates in catering, gastronomy and other disciplines who wish to specialise in the cocktail industry and professionals from the sector (bartenders, front of house staff, etc.) with the ambition to progress and acquire new skills.
- To acquire basic knowledge of the operation of a bar, customer service and team management and motivation.
- To acquire in-depth knowledge of the main products used in a bar; the key alcoholic drinks (rum, liqueurs and fermented beverages), wine and coffee, from their raw materials to main production areas, manufacturing methods, their properties and derivatives, and service.
- To master the classic and avant-guard techniques in cocktail preparation.
- To develop creative and sensory skills to produce signature cocktails as well as their own creations (alcoholic drinks, bitters, etc.).
- To learn and apply the gastronomic possibilities to cocktail preparation, both to desserts and savouring blends.
- To define and analyse the production processes (planning, stocks, costs) as a function of the type of service, business model and customer expectations (grand events, shows attended by the customer, cocktails in series, etc.).
Positions of bartender or head bartender can unquestionably be undertaken.
Adviser to the cocktail industry, brand ambassador for various brands, or the development of new products are other possible career opportunities.
AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE:
The teaching programme will develop the following areas of knowledge:
*Students will have the option to validate their practical sessions by accrediting competences with previous professional experience.
TERM TIMES: from October to December 2018
TIMETABLE: Monday to Thursday from 15:15 to 20:15
NUMBER OF PLACES: 20
- Very practical: cookery shows, tasting of alcoholic beverages, fruits, cocktail shaker training, mixtures, practical workshops and creativity sessions.
- Master classes run by prestigious guest bartenders.
- Study visits: there will be a visit to a distillery to experience in situ the distillation and the production process of some of the alcoholic beverages studied in the training modules, as well as other production centres connected to the module content.
- Project: the creation of a cocktail for a cocktail bar. Technical details of cocktails: product, service, blending and costs. The project will be monitored by a tutor.
- 160 practical hours in the restaurant network associated with the Basque Culinary Centre and other prominent cocktail establishments
The academic team is made up of:
- Expert course coordinator and senior lecturer. Patxi Troitiño, Spanish Champion 2009.
- Cookery, patisserie and front of house tutors for the Basque Culinary Centre.
- Experts in sensorial analysis and creativity.
- Experts in the different types of alcohol beverages and mixes: oenologists, mixologists, bartenders, brand ambassadors, etc.
- Experts in costs, team management and customer service.
Master class in cocktail preparation
During the course, renowned bartenders will share with students their knowledge and experience in the creation of cocktails, organisation of a competition, the secrets of their business model, etc.
This programme of studies has been assessed by a group of experts at the forefront of the sector and consists of:
- Javier de Las Muelas. Dry Martini, Barcelona.
- Pepe Dioni. Vice-President Europe IBA, San Sebastian.
- Marc Alvarez. BCN5.0 Group, Bar Manager.
- Carlos Moreno. “Diverxo Vanguardia Líquida”, Madrid.
- Javier Caballero. “Liquid Experience: Coctelería evolutiva”.
- Juan Vals. Fibar, Valladolid.
Throughout the course, some of these experts and other distinguished bartenders will share their experience, creative methods and the keys to their success.
Fees / Grants
The total fees for the programme are €2,950 which must be paid as follows
- €180 at the time of applying for a place (refundable in full in the case of not being admitted).
- 40% of the total, that is €1,120 as a reservation fee payable at the time of confirmation of admission.
- The remainder of the fees, €1,650 two weeks prior to the start of the programme.
This price includes:
- Teaching material
- Study visits
The Basque Culinary Centre has special financing agreements with various financial organisations.
Options for Discount
Refundable (partly or wholly) through the Fundación Tripartita.
Assistance with Accomodation
The students’ information office of the faculty will provide the necessary information and will assist students with their search for accommodation and shared flats.
The Basque Culinary Centre has a system of admissions that aims to ensure that our students have the academic level and personal competences required to complete the study plan successfully.
Students wishing to be considered must send the following either by e-mail or by ordinary post:
- The completed application form
- Documentation to be attached to the application.
- Registration fee (fully refundable in refundable in full in the case of not being admitted). This fee is 180 euros.
Period for applications:
The period for application will remain open until all places have been allocated. The maximum number of students to be admitted is 20. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within a period of one month.
For any further enquiries regarding course requirements or the admission process, please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 23, 2017