In a globalized economy, companies operate in different countries and employ an international workforce. In addition, companies today operate in dynamic and fast-changing environments that require quick and creative organizational responses. Given this scenario, students, potential managers, and practitioners need to develop managerial, entrepreneurship and marketing skills (negotiation, team management, communication, leadership, creativity, innovation, market research in an international environment, etc.) applicable to international and multicultural environments. In this course, we offer a practical and applied perspective in order to develop and being able to develop these abilities and skills. Interaction among students will be encouraged to obtain and apply management and entrepreneurship skills in international organizations, understanding the different roles and functions of entrepreneurs and managers and developing basic skills for these positions. The different modules will be taught by Doctors and Professors specialized in Management, Entrepreneurship, and Marketing at the University of Almeria. All the lecturers have teaching experience both in Spanish and English in different bachelor degrees and in Master/Postgraduate courses, including an MBA and a Master in International Business Administration (in English). The teaching staff is also very active in research with publications in prestigious international journals such as Academy of Management Learning and Education, J. Business Ethics, Human Resource Management, Organization & Environment, Technovation, Journal of Business Research, Plos One, or Business Strategy & the Environment; as well as international chapters or books. In addition, their works are presented in international conferences such as the Academy of Management, Babson College Conference, Strategic Management Conference, etc.. Their research is multi-disciplinary and focuses on strategic management and marketing of private and public companies, as well as their organization and structure. It includes different levels of analysis: managers/entrepreneurs, teams, enterprises, economic sectors, and production systems.
- Understanding and developing managerial, entrepreneurial and marketing skills needed to manage an international organization.
- Dealing effectively with scenarios demanding complex decision-making processes, problem-solving, entrepreneurship, negotiation, effective communication, marketing, team management, motivation and leadership of groups in a multinational context.
- Understanding and developing competencies for the creation of a new company in an international context.
Module A Managerial Skills
- International Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Foreign Trade and entry modes strategies
- Team management
- Motivation and leadership
Module B Entrepreneurial Skills
- Opportunity identification/Creation and assessment
- Creativity and innovation
- Business models design
Module C International Marketing Skills
- International Strategic Marketing
- International Market Research
- E-commerce Professional Visits
- Cosentino Group©
- Clisol Agro
- Bodega de Serón y Jamones de Serón Seminars
- Young entrepreneurs panel
- Foreign trade experts
The course is completely taught in English. All professors in this course have experience teaching in English at an Undergraduate and Master’s level.
The methodology of this course will be eminently practical and will foster the active participation and interaction of students, especially in a multicultural way.
We will use a variety of active and experiential learning methodologies: group dynamics, role plays, problem-solving activities, case studies, outdoor training activities, etc. We will also introduce gamification elements to engage students.
Some sessions (i.e. market research in international markets) will be held in computer-equipped spaces, where students will have the opportunity to practice with real data.
In addition, students will have the opportunity to visits three companies in the sector and attend seminars with entrepreneurs, managers, and international trade experts.
Professional Visits and Complementary Academic Activities
This course has an eminently practical focus and the theoretical lessons will be complemented with professional visits to companies of the main representative economic sectors of the south of Spain (i.e. construction and natural stone, intensive agricultural firms and multinational tourist and manufacture chains). The following extracurricular activities will be organized:
- Visit the headquarters of COSENTINO GROUP, one of the world leading companies in the design, production, and distribution of architectural and decorative solutions from natural stone, and the first world producer of quartz surface Silestone©. Students will have the opportunity to know firsthand the strategic development, marketing and internationalization techniques that have led to this company to become the world leader in the sector. With over 25 centuries of history, Macael quarries, have been and are the economic base of the region. Phoenicians, Romans, and Arabs have lived through them, leaving a legacy of majestic works of our white marble. Examples of Macael Marble in the world: the Silver City Hotel in China, Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai, Kremlin Palace in Moscú, The court of the Lions at the Alhambra Palace in Granada.
- Visit the headquarters of CLISOL AGRO, a local firm with extensive experience in the field of Mediterranean agriculture and of international reference in the sector worldwide. It has collaborated with the BBC documentary entitled “Europe’s Salad Bowl”. This firm is a clear example of an agriculture company which has focused on innovation and high qualifications of their staff as a way to differentiate and compete in an increasingly globalized market and with a higher number of consumers demanding higher quality products. Students will have the opportunity to know the business strategies being applied by the company for years which have become it an international benchmark of quality.
- Visit the head office of Bodega de Serón, a local winery, where the students will have the chance to learn the process of preparing wine and to taste it. The winery of Serón could be an example of an international-projected SME, despite its short history, it has already earned several international awards for its wines in international official competitions. The awards for its red “Didacus“ and its white “Saetías” have come to recognize the great work of this winery, which has already become a benchmark in the world of wine. In the same office, students will have the opportunity to visit a factory of Spanish cured ham with the aim of showing the processes of salting, drying and curing of this worthy product. The climate and the height make Serón the ideal place to produce these products. The quality of this product has been recognized with the awarding of the PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) 'cured ham of Seron' that covers cured hams made exclusively in the Andalusian village of Serón by a process that includes a period of natural drying-maturation of at least 12 months. Both the wine and Spanish cured ham are two of the main gastronomic emblems of Spain which attract the attention of international markets.
- Additional to these professional visits, outdoor training activities will be carried out with the aim of building teamwork spirit in the classroom and put into practice the conceptual skills acquired.
- Furthermore, there will be several sessions consisting of seminars with entrepreneurs, managers, and international trade experts that have created or manage companies in different key sectors of Almería and that have an international scope.
Final grade 0-100 points:
- Class participation: 20 points -
- Class activities: 20 points
- Team-based presentations: 10 points
- Final test: 50 points
The overall pass mark is 50 and a minimum of 80% of attendance is required.
Program taught in: