Gain practical knowledge with our full-time studies in UX and UI and put your skills to work with an internship at a leading company in San Francisco or Silicon Valley. International students qualify for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Through our immersive, which can lead to a full diploma, you'll master the UX and UI skills that employers are seeking. Start studying today for an exciting and demanding career in UX and UI.
"My internship was my first time working at a startup, and I liked the culture where my ideas and expertise were easily seen and valued."
—Jolin Wu, Taiwan
UI (User-Interface) Design Immersive
Develop your user-interface (UI) design skills by creating innovative experiences; structuring, organizing and managing content; identifying user needs, and developing social innovations. Through various hands-on projects, you'll develop a portfolio that will impress a future hiring manager.
Understand principles such as learnability, visibility, efficiency and the human capabilities that motivate them.
Receive a certificate upon completion and be eligible for an internship.
- Length: 1 semester
- Format: Full time
- Prerequisite: UX Design or equivalent
- Internship Option: Yes
- Award: Certificate
- Cost: $11,000
Students must have a minimum of three years of undergraduate coursework for admission.
International students must meet English Language Proficiency requirements.
Students who apply to the UI Design Immersive must have taken Introduction to UX Design, completed the UX Design Immersive, or have equivalent experience prior to starting the program. You can take Introduction to UX Design online prior to starting the program.
- Understand principles such as learnability, visibility, error prevention, efficiency and the human capabilities that motivate them.
- Create, organize, present, consume and interact with information on the Web and other digital devices.
- Recommend changes to improve the usability of interactive systems.
- Design apps and websites by applying user-interface concepts, methods and strategies.
- Produce documentation/deliverables necessary to illustrate and explain interactions.
- Deploy HTML and CSS skills to perform hands-on web design.
- Visual Design Principles | DESIGN X401.2
- Web Design With HTML5 and CSS3 | DESIGN X455
- Diagramming and Prototyping | DESIGN X476
- User-Interface Design | DESIGN X475.2
Bonus: Career Development (CEU)
Gain career orientation and hands-on training for successful job placement and career advancement. This special course includes workshops on soft skills, interview methods and technical skills, as well as personalized career coaching and professional network development.
Completing Your Studies
Once you've completed this one-semester immersive, you'll receive an Award of Completion. You're also eligible to apply for an internship! Read more about internships.
Fall 2019 Cohort
- Dates: September 4–December 12, 2019
- Application Due: July 22, 2019
Spring 2020 Cohort
- Dates: January 15–May 15, 2020
- Application Due: November 18, 2019
Start Working Through an Internship or OPT
- Industry Growth: 94,000 jobs were posted in the UX/UI field nationally during the last twelve months.
- User-experience (UX) Design Instructor Minakshi Mukherjee leads students through an end-to-end UX experience designing a product app prototype and learning how to work with a product manager.
- Local Opportunities: Over 26,000 of nationally posted UX/UI jobs were concentrated in California. In the Bay Area alone, there were 12,513 unique jobs in UX between September 2017 and September 2018.
If you successfully complete the UX Design or UI Design Immersive—or both—you can start working through a three-month internship at a leading San Francisco or Silicon Valley company!
- Put your newfound skills to work
- Gain work experience
- Build connections
- Expand your network
You'll see firsthand how a U.S. business runs, giving you a competitive edge when you're ready to land a full-time position in UX Design or UI Design.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training is an opportunity for those studying in the United States with an F-1 visa to apply their knowledge with practical work experience. If you successfully complete both the UX Design and UI Design Immersive, you'll be eligible to apply for paid temporary work authorization in the U.S., also known as Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Imagine yourself conducting user research to update an app. Deploying HTML and CSS to create a website. Creating content that is visually engaging and informative. Or working on a team to prototype a new mobile device.
With OPT, you can apply everything you've learned to real-world projects and gain valuable work experience.
Our graduates are working at top companies, including:
Berkeley: Located just a few blocks away from the UC Berkeley campus.
UC Berkeley Extension
Golden Bear Center
1995 University Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704
San Francisco: Located in the bustling downtown area.
UC Berkeley Extension
San Francisco Campus
160 Spear St., Floors 5, 6 and 7
San Francisco, CA 94105
Program Requirements for International Students
Online Information Session
This program is structured so that international students can fulfill their Visa requirements for full-time study, as well as have the opportunity to be eligible for internships and Optional Practical Training (OPT).
English Proficiency Requirements
International applicants must submit official evidence of English-language proficiency. Sometimes exceptions to this requirement are made. Please note that the submission of language proficiency scores or other forms of verification does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Scores must be from the past two years.
|English Language Test
||Minimum Score for Professional Diploma Program
Don't meet these requirements? Apply to our 6-week summer English program (July–August) to raise your English-language proficiency.
To be eligible, you must meet the following English-language requirements:
Learn more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
PDP Program Requirement
Because this is a cohort-based program and full-time attendance is required to maintain your visa status, you must attend all scheduled courses.
F-1 Visa Application and F-1 Transfer Process
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must apply for an F-1 student visa to attend PDP. Non-U.S. citizens with a visitor visa (B-1, B-2) or under the Visa Waiver Program are not permitted to engage in full-time study (PDP is full time). Your PDP acceptance packet includes the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) verifying that you have been admitted for full-time study.
If you are an F-1 student at a different U.S. institution, you must complete the F-1 transfer process to attend PDP. The transfer must be initiated by your current school.
Program taught in: