Study Abroad - Semester at SDSU
San Diego State University
The ALI offers international students an easy way to sample one or two semesters of study at an American university without going through the normal university admissions process. Credits earned through Semester at SDSU are listed on a permanent SDSU transcript and can be transferred to other universities. There are two programs to choose from - students can choose to take general courses in the Semester at SDSU General Courses program or business courses in the Semester at SDSU Business Courses program.
Semester at SDSU General Courses - Students can enroll in a variety of SDSU courses at undergraduate or graduate levels with American students. These courses range from biology to geography, linguistics to fine art and music just to name a few. Students wanting to take business courses should enroll in the Semester at SDSU Business Courses program.
Semester at SDSU Business Courses - Students in this program can choose from a variety of business courses at the undergraduate or graduate level. These courses are taught by SDSU faculty to international students.
Semester at SDSU General Courses and Semester at SDSU Business Courses
Number of weeks: 17-18 in spring or fall
Hours of instruction: Varies according to course enrollment. Minimum 12 units undergraduate/9 units graduate
Requirements*: Prequalify with TOEFL iBT 80 or IELTS 6.5
Also included: All students have access to a variety of electives, pronunciation clinics, sports and conversation clubs, language and computer labs, personalized student counseling, library, and academic advising.
*Only applicants meeting English proficiency will be issued I-20s for the Semester at SDSU program. Applicants not providing this proof may apply to the English for Academic Purposes program.
Optional Practical Training
Students successfully completing the Semester at SDSU program for two consecutive semesters may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work in the U.S.
Semester at SDSU Summer Term
Advanced students who have scored at least TOEFL iBT 80 or IELTS 6.5 may qualify to take six to 12 undergraduate units during the summer in the Semester at SDSU Summer Term program.
- Variety of Classes: SDSU offers more than 3,000 class sections each semester in more than 80 different academic fields. A large number of these classes have additional spaces available after SDSU students have enrolled. Semester at SDSU allows international students to take advantage of these extra spaces. Business classes are taught by SDSU faculty and most business classes are taught for international students. In addition, business classes with American students may be available depending on space.
- 12 Undergraduate or 9 Graduate Units of SDSU Courses: Through this program, students can enroll in 12 undergraduate or 9 graduate units of SDSU courses. Credits earned are listed on a permanent SDSU transcript and may be transferable to other universities.
- Official Transcript: Credits earned are listed on an official SDSU transcript and may be transferable to other universities.
- Campus Access: Students can use SDSU’s library, dining, sports, housing, and recreation facilities.
- Advising: Academic, immigration, and housing advisors are available.
Classes at SDSU
Students have many options for classes at SDSU.
Please note that the ALI cannot guarantee participation in specific university courses. Students enroll in classes on a space-available basis.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017