What Can I Study?
International students are permitted to take a maximum of 5 courses (15 credits) per semester. These can be made up in any one of the following 4 ways – Studies in English, Spanish Language Classes, Studies in Spanish, Service Learning – but a combination of some or all is usual.
Studies in english
A wide range of subjects at UEES are taught in English, enabling international students that do not have a high proficiency in Spanish to keep on track with their majors while also working on their language skills. While the largest selection of courses are in the areas of Business, Finance and Marketing, there is sufficient choice to enable students of most disciplines to take a full-time load for a semester or academic year.
Spanish language classes
Students in the Semester in Ecuador Program have the opportunity to learn, practice and perfect their Spanish language skills during their time at UEES. We offer six levels of Spanish language instruction, and two content focused levels of for those with advanced skills. Students are placed in the appropriate course according to their demonstrated level.
Studies in Spanish
Students who demonstrate a high degree of proficiency in Spanish may enroll in courses in one or more of the following colleges:
- Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Communications and Marketing
- Law, Politics and Development
- Liberal Arts and Education
- Economics and Business Management
- Tourism, Hotel Management and Culinary Arts
- Computer Systems, Telecommunications and Electronics
- Medical Sciences
- Languages (Italian, French, Japanese, Mandarin)
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- Our International Calendar is as follows:
- Spring Semester: early January to late April.
- Fall Semester: late August to late December.
- Summer Programs: two 4-week Summer Serve and Learn Spanish Programs.
- Summer 1 during the month of June, Summer 2 during the month of July.
- Latin American Language and Culture Program: 4 weeks during May/June.
- Spanish for the Health Professions Field Experience: 5 weeks during July/August.
Credit transfer & syllabi
UEES is a fully accredited university, recognized as among the top universities in Ecuador by the higher education authority, CONEA.
UEES employs a credit system that mirrors that used in the United States and Canada. Each class counts for 3 credits, and international students can take up to a maximum of 5 classes (or 15 credits) per semester. International students tend to take 2 Spanish courses during their stay (our semester is divided into two halves), and 3 other courses from those above.
We issue international transcripts in either English or Spanish, and our syllabi are available for download online (click here to download a guide to locating syllabi online). In the past international students have successfully transferred their credits from UEES to universities in the USA, Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia, and other parts of Latin America.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 27, 2017