This course is designed to provide you with thorough preparation for Cambridge ILEC, a high-level language qualification for law students and practising lawyers.
Who is the Cambridge ILEC course for?
This is a short, intensive course suitable for students who have a good working knowledge of English and want to develop this knowledge for use in a legal environment.
Cambridge ILEC was created to meet the needs of both employers and lawyers. It is also suitable for law students who need to improve their legal English skills.
The aims of the Cambridge ILEC exam:
- to assess candidates’ ability to operate in English in an international legal environment
- to allow candidates to demonstrate to employers their ability to communicate in English with clients and colleagues
- to allow candidates to demonstrate to educational and training institutions their ability to follow a course of legal study where a significant portion of the instruction is in English
- to have a positive and beneficial impact on the content and delivery of English language training courses for legal purposes
- to provide an examination to do this which is fair to all candidates and which is delivered to international standards
- to allow test users to compare candidates’ results with other qualifications which are linked to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The examination consists of four separate papers testing reading, writing, listening and speaking. The examination texts and topics are set in the context of international commercial law.
Some of the areas of law featured in ILEC: Corporate, Business associations, Contract, Sale of goods, Real property, Debtor-creditor, Intellectual property, Employment, Competition, Environmental, Negotiable instruments, Secured transactions, Aspects of international law. The ILEC examination will also cover relevant aspects of legal practice.
ILEC assesses English language ability used in a legal context at Council of Europe Vantage’ Level (B2) and Council of Europe ‘Effective Operational Proficiency’ Level (C1) for general language proficiency.
Who recognises the ILEC qualification?
ILEC is recognised by leading international associations of lawyers including:
- European Company Lawyers Association
- European Law Students Association
- International Association of Young Lawyers
- European Young Bar Association
- 10th February 2014
- 31st March 2014
- 02nd June 2014
- 04th August 2014
- 06th October 2014
- 01st December 2014
- Minimum Age: 18
- Level: intermediate to advanced (B1 – C1)
- Tuition: 20 hours per week
- Course Length: 2 weeks
- Ideal For: professionals requiring a high-level, relevant qualification
- Optional Exam: Cambridge ICFE