German as a foreign language has been a fixed component of Friedensau Adventist University since 1993. Course participants with basic knowledge (at least GER A1 level) can prepare linguistically for their studies in two semesters. For prospective students without previous knowledge of the language we offer a beginners’ course. The aim of both courses is the TestDaF (test in German as a foreign language, entitles the holder to study at German universities). For the students in the advanced course it is possible to reach the level for this test after one year. Experience suggests that beginners need 1.5 to two years. Since 2003, Friedensau has also been part of the ACA (Adventist Colleges Abroad) programme. This programme enables students from the USA to spend a year in Germany and study German as their major or minor.
- German course at level A1 to B2/C1 (20 units of teaching per week)
- Multimedia language laboratory
- Geography / history
German in Germany
Language and culture are inextricably linked. One important aspect of the language course is thus to bring students into contact with the culture and history of Germany and of Europe. Interesting excursions make this possible. A few examples from recent years:
- Hamburg: the lovely North German port
- Munich: the capital of Bavaria and close to the Alps
- Dresden: the fascinating Baroque city of Augustus the Strong
- Wittenberg: the town in which Luther lived, worked, and nailed the famous 95 theses to the door of the castle church
- Magdeburg: the nearby capital of Saxony-Anhalt, with its 800-year-old cathedral
Friedensau is a university which attracts not only young people from all over the world, but also many Germans. So it is easy to get to know Germans and speak German with them. But you will not be the only one getting to know a new country and a new culture. As our university is small (around 200 students), you can easily make contacts here, and take part in activities such as sport, outings, spiritual and other events on campus.
The intensive courses finish with the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 or the TestDaF The certificate TestDaF qualifies foreign students to apply to a German university.
Partners and collaborations
- Our partners are ACA
- We are part of the consortium SDA Languages Europe