English as a Foreign Language
Whether you want to develop a basic knowledge of the English language, get familiar with everyday expressions or want to understand complex English text and abstract topics, this course has a lot to offer in order to help you develop your English. With English classes covering a variety of topics, it is the perfect course to learn and improve English whilst discovering British culture.
About the Course
- You will develop a basic knowledge of the language, familiar everyday expressions and simple phrases. This level is equivalent to the Council of Europe Language Level A1.
- You will develop your skills to become familiar with frequently used expressions and conversation on routine matters. This level is equivalent to the Council of Europe Language Level A2.
- You will learn to understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure etc. This level is equivalent to the Council of Europe Language Level B1.
Upper Intermediate Level
- You will be able to understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field of specialisation. This level is equivalent to the Council of Europe Language. Level B2.
Course Start Dates
- Enrolment for this course runs every Monday during term time.
- Students can expect to study 4 days per week - your timetable will be confirmed at enrolment.
- Understand and use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases
- Introduce yourself and others
- Ask and answer questions about personal details
- Interact in a simple way
- Understand sentences and frequently used expressions for personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment
- Describe daily routines
- Describe your background
- Take part in a conversation about work, school, and leisure
- Deal with situations when travelling
- Talk about topics of personal interest
- Describe experiences, events, hopes and ambitions
- Give brief explanations for opinions and plans
Upper Intermediate Level
- Understand ideas in complex texts including technical discussions
- Communicate with reasonable fluency
- Produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of topics
- Describe your viewpoint giving advantages and disadvantages
- Continuous assessment e.g. end of the unit/end of the term assessment
- Optional external examination
What can I do after I finish this course?
Students will receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the course.
There are a lot of pathways available to students after completing the English as a Foreign Language course. Some students achieve a high IELTS score and go to universities, other students pass Cambridge or Trinity exams and return to their country to find work or continue their studies.
The Sheffield College can offer advice regarding study and work possibilities for international students after their study.
A good level of English is essential to study at University in the UK, as well as in other countries. Achieving a high level of English will also help students apply for work at international companies.
All new students are required to take a placement test prior to enrolment covering skills as follows:
- Speaking and listening
- Vocabulary and grammar
Please note students must be at least 16 years of age to undertake this course.
The pricing structure for this course varies depending on the length of study.
- £170 per week (2-14 weeks study)
- £150 per week (15-33 weeks study)
- £200 per week (2-14 weeks study)
- £180 per week (15-33 week study)
Fees are payable in full before the start of the course.
Tell me more
These classes are mainly intended for students who normally live outside of the UK and speak a language other than English at home.
These courses are suitable for students preparing for Higher Education, vocational courses in the UK, and/or those who wish to improve their general English skills (exams are optional).
Program taught in: