California State University, East Bay (CSUEB) offers conditional admission to undergraduates who are academically qualified but have not met the English language requirement. Students are issued an I-20 by the American Language Program (ALP) and a conditional admission letter indicating that the student will be admitted to a University undergraduate program upon meeting the English language requirement and successful completion of ALP coursework.
Intensive English Program
- Year-round schedule
- 8-week program*
- 6 levels of instruction
- University Preparation Program
- Weekly courses that prepare students for their first year at CSUEB
- Workshops and activities for students to practice communication skills in an academic setting
- University degree counseling and admissions advising
- Courses in Reading/Writing, Listening/Speaking, and Grammar
- Skills courses in preparation for academic studies
- Courses that prepare students to take the IELTS exam, which is offered on our campus every month
Undergraduate Degree Admission Requirements
- TOEFL score of 61 (ibt), or IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
- Must also meet the following requirements:
- 12 years of Elementary and Secondary Schooling – Minimum 3.0 GPA or B (requires a high school diploma or certificate of completion of secondary education)
- Minimum 2.0 GPA or C
*Note: Five 8-week Intensive English sessions per year (Two 8-week sessions per semester and an 8-week summer session.)
Cal State East Bay has been named a “Best in the West” university by The Princeton Review.
- Anthropology, B.A.
- Art, B.A., B.F.A.
- Biochemistry, B.A., B.S.
- Biological Science, B.A., B.S.
- Business Administration, B.S.
- Chemistry, B.A., B.S.
- Communication, B.A.
- Computer Engineering, B.S.
- Computer Science, B.S.
- Construction Management, B.S.
- Criminal Justice, B.S.
- Economics, B.S.
- English, B.A.
- Environmental Science, B.S.
- Environmental Studies, B.A.
- Ethnic Studies, B.A.
- French, B.A.
- Geography, B.S.
- Geology, B.A., B.S.
- Health Sciences, B.S.
- History, B.A.
- Human Development, B.A.
- Industrial Engineering, B.S.
- Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A., B.S.
- International Studies, B.A.
- Kinesiology, B.S.
- Liberal Studies, B.A.
- Mathematics, B.S.
- Music, B.A.
- Nursing, B.S.
- Philosophy, B.A.
- Physics, B.A., B.S.
- Political Science, B.A.
- Psychology, B.A., B.S.
- Recreation, B.S.
- Sociology, B.A.
- Spanish, B.A.
- Speech-Pathology & Audiology, B.S.
- Statistics, B.S.
- Theatre Arts, B.A.
Application Checklist: How To Apply
1. Complete an Intensive English Program application online.
- On the ALP application form, choose the eight-week session you want to start your Intensive English Studies.
- Pay a $150 non-refundable application fee.
- You will be asked to attach the following documents to your online application:
- official academic records from secondary school or any college or university attended
- verification of financial declarations (bank statements, letter or seal)
- copy of passport name page
2. Before enrolling in a degree program, submit an online application to Cal State East Bay.
- On the Cal State Apply application, apply for the earliest term available.
- Pay a $70 non-refundable application fee.
- NOTE: This step may be done after you begin in the Intensive English Program. Our staff/advisor can help with this process.
The completed application package will also be reviewed by the CSUEB International Admissions Office. Students will be contacted regarding the status of their conditional admission decision by the ALP office.
Estimated Program Costs*
(Per Academic Year – 2 Semesters)
- Tuition and Fees (12 units per semester): $16,488
- Health Insurance: $1,688
- Living Expenses: $18,000
- Total: $36,156
ALP Intensive English Program
- Tuition and Fees (per 8-week session): $2,800
- (per semester rate = two 8-week sessions): $5,000
* Tuition and fees subject to change.
NOTE: There are two 8-week Intensive English sessions per semester and an 8-week summer session. Students who sign up for a semester-long program receive a tuition discount as listed above.
About the School
For more than 60 years, California State University, East Bay (Cal State East Bay or CSUEB for short) has served the San Francisco Bay Area as part of the California State University system (the large ... Read More