For a semester or full academic year, you choose the courses that most interest you—and fit with your academic goals. Study alongside other college students while taking new and innovative classes that you wouldn't find at your home university.
Take advantage of this study-abroad opportunity to learn from UC Berkeley's renowned professors in a culturally diverse campus—without the complicated admissions process.
Outside of class, spend your free time exploring the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley, networking with your classmates and professors, participating in student groups, receiving guidance from your peer mentor, and immersing yourself in this vibrant, multicultural environment. You'll also receive academic advising and graduate school admissions support as part of your experience.
Why Choose BGA Discover?
- Finish undergraduate or graduate requirements
- Refine English language skills
- Access to Berkeley, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley
- Expert instructors, world-renowned Berkeley faculty
Duration of program
One semester (approximately 4 months) or a full academic year (approximately 8 months).
You'll take courses both on and just outside of campus; online courses are not available. Enroll in a minimum of 2 units of UC Berkeley Extension courses and a variety of UC Berkeley courses, for a minimum of 12 units and a maximum of 18 units total of credit-bearing, in-person courses. Suggested course structure: 1 or 2 UC Berkeley Extension courses plus 3 or 4 UC Berkeley courses.
UC Berkeley courses – To view available courses, select the academic term, then the subject you are interested in. If you are interested in a course that appears under the "professional" category, you'll be better suited to apply to one of our tracks: business, environmental design, English literature. Otherwise, explore courses from a variety of subjects (excluding courses from the School of Law) such as:
- Arts and Humanities
- Mathematics and Sciences
- Social Sciences
UC Berkeley Extension courses:
- TOEFL preparation
- GRE preparation
- English as a Second Language
- Courses related to your major
Graduate-level courses must be approved in advance by instructors and our program director. You must meet the listed prerequisite requirements to be eligible for any course.
Pace of study
Full-time, Monday–Friday, 12–18 units per semester
- Application fee (non-refundable) $200
- Program fee range $14,400–$19,700
- Student fee (included in program fee) $4,900
- Estimated living expenses $10,500 per semester
- Estimated cost per semester $24,900–$30,200
- Visa support
- Housing advice and support
- Orientation to Berkeley
- Welcome lunch
- International student fee
- Mandatory U.S. medical insurance
- Personal academic advising
- Graduate school admissions workshop
- Undergraduate research and student learning center resources
Cost does not include visa fees, textbooks, supplies, travel and housing costs, meals or daily expenses. If you participate in BGA Discover for a full academic year, you'll receive a $500 continuing-student discount.
- Recommended minimum grade point average (GPA): 3.0. Calculate my GPA. Exceptions are sometimes made on a case-by-case basis; you may contact us for details.
- Completion of the BGA Discover online application.
- Make sure that you meet specific prerequisites for any course you intend to take.
BGA Discover Program English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants must submit official evidence of English-language proficiency. Sometimes exceptions to this requirement are made. Please note that the submission of language proficiency scores or other forms of verification does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
||Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
English Proficiency Requirement Exceptions
- University study in a country where English is the primary language spoken
- One year of full-time, college-level English instruction
BGA Start English Proficiency Requirements
If you do not meet the requirements for BGA Discover, you may be eligible to apply for our BGA-Start program.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a lower English test score or do not have an English proficiency test score when you apply, please contact us to request a language proficiency interview. If you complete this interview satisfactorily, you may be admitted to the program or may be eligible to attend BGA-Start and then attend BGA Discover. BGA-Start students generally have language skills equivalent to a TOEFL score of 80-89.
If you have a TOEFL of 79 or below or do not demonstrate adequate language proficiency, you may attend one of our partner English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) schools. We have agreements with several schools in the United States to accept institutional TOEFL scores.
UC Berkeley Main Campus
Berkeley, CA 94704
Golden Bear Center
1995 University Ave., Suite 200
Berkeley, CA 94704
||Start and End Dates
||January 18, 2019–May 17, 2019
||November 19, 2018
|Summer 2019 Internship
||June 3, 2019–August 9, 2019
||August 26, 2019–December 20, 2019
||July 1, 2019