‘Classroom to Boardroom’ | Two-Day Intensive Employability & Career-enhancing Masterclass
In today’s highly competitive and globalised marketplace, employers have more choice of applicants and will favour those with well-rounded employability skills. You need not only to ensure that you secure a good performance in a relevant degree programme you also need to prepare for the challenges and opportunities that await post graduation and transition to the global workforce.
Employers are often looking for skills that go beyond academic qualifications and experience. Employability skills are those skills necessary for getting, keeping and being successful in a job. So even if you have already secured your dream job, you still need to equip yourself with these skills to keep your job and promote to the next levels.
The core aim of this Masterclass is to bridge the gap between education and the workplace. At each Masterclass, we aim to develop skills and talents to empower both the participants and creative industries.
Accordingly, the programme covers a range of relevant skills including, in particular, the following:
- Public Speaking and Presentation Skills
- Team Building
- Leadership Skills
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- CV & LinkedIn Clinic & Interview Skills
- Personal Branding
The above skills and expertise will enable you to get along with your fellow colleagues and develop respect, solve problems, make critical decisions and ultimately become a strong asset for the organisation.
A distinctive feature of our hands-on and practical Masterclass is that there is a clear emphasis upon strengthening the key skills young graduates need to secure and succeed in ‘high income’ graduat employment. The Masterclass gives you invaluable information and advice directly from an employer perspective to help you to grow your confidence and employability skills. It will consist of several activities delivered by highly qualified industry experts and key professionals across various sectors. At the same time, they support you in developing the skills and know how to secure your first position or to get promoted in your current job.
Through practical, hands-on activities the Masterclass explores themes such as:
Day 1 Morning | Public Speaking
Public Speaking/Presentational Skills
- How to get audiences to engage with you and take action using dynamic rather than passive language
- How to find the courage to speak in public
- Managing your nerves and any 'stage fright' and how to combat the physical symptoms of nerves
- Verbal Communication (through the use of speech/song etc.)
- Physical Communication (Body Language and Physicality)
- Sensory Communication (Aural / Visual / Touch / Smell)
- To think on your feet and never forget your words
- How to structure and deliver a powerful presentation and body language and voice techniques to present with confidence, passion and gravitas
- Immediate changing techniques to look professional, command respect and heighten your confidence
- Responding to comments and questions from your audience
- 'Using silence' within your speech
This session also highlights the soft skills that fall short in an unexpected situation.
- Speaking pace and pitch
- Physical stance and personal presence
- Eye contact
- Subject matter
- Delivery format (To open a talk, talk about it, and close the talk)
Day 1 Afternoon | Team Building
- Improve communication skills
- Be able to communicate ideas clearly in a team.
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Learn to delegate tasks and work with teams
- Know how you perform when working with others
- Learn the essential skills to manage a task and time
- Be able to reflect on one’s ‘typical’ role in a team
- Learn to approach a challenge with a resilient attitude.
- Understand the concept of synergy
- Understand what is meant by ‘flow’ in a team
- Understand what is meant by a SMART goal
- Practice ‘Refining and Prototyping’ concept when working in a team
Day 2 Morning | Leadership Skills
- Learn to develop reasonable arguments to support a decision
- Present ideas publicly to the group
- To be aware of when one is most likely to give up
- Understand the importance of setting goals to be successful
- Be able to set a range of SMART goals using positive language
- Understand the structure and the processes used in creative collaborations
- Understand the timeline each project goes through and what are milestones within that process
- Be able to swiftly move from one position to another within the team, from a team member to a leader based on changes in projects needs.
- Be able to plan and delegates multitudes of tasks within strict deadline.
- Having understood and analysed the three T’s, Team, Tools and Time.
- Plan according to the assets of the team member’s abilities and strengths, equipment available and needed in order to comply with a client brief successfully.
- To be discerning between constructive feedbacks and negative comments that are of no practical use.
- Understand the importance of time management, persuasive presentation techniques and professional manners during final presentation
- Work both independently and as part of a production team
Day 2 Afternoon | CV Clinic
CV & LinkedIn Clinic / Personal Branding / Interview Skills
- Get feedback on your submitted CV
- What style of CV best suits your career history
- Align your application to your chosen employer
- How to use language that will convince employers you have the skills they need
- Focus on developing your personal brand
- Raising your profile on LinkedIn and How to optimise your profile to get found
- Should you use LinkedIn
- Creating the perfect profile
- How to manage endorsements and recommendations
- Claiming your LinkedIn URL
- How LinkedIn networking works
- How to build your LinkedIn network
- LinkedIn Groups
- Interview techniques
- Gain an insight into the different interview techniques used by employers: why and when they are used.
- Lunch & refreshment (Both days)
- Complimentary drinks and snacks to mark the end of the programme
- Sat 23rd - Sun 24th September | 10:00 am - 17:00 pm
- Sat 28th - Sun 29th October | 10:00 am - 17:00 pm
- Sat 25th - Sun 26th November | 10:00 am - 17:00 pm
Two weeks prior to start date