The Chocolaterie Course: 4 weeks of theoretical and practical lessons with the opportunity of a training period at selected chocolate shops or artisan laboratories
This course is suitable for those who want to open a chocolate shop and for those who want to become a professional master Chocolatier. The Course includes lessons in window display design, the creation of artistic pieces to showcase, as well as new chocolate decorating techniques. The course includes detailed lessons held by Master Chocolatiers, members of the Academy of Master Chocolatiers, and visits to Chocolate manufacturers. The Course is in Italian language and teachers are supported by an interpreter in the English language.
Minimum number of participants: 12.
The Course has a total duration of 4 months:
- 4 weeks of theoretical and practical lessons at the Institute
- 12 weeks of practical training (optional) at specialized laboratories selected by ICIF.
Those who can enroll in the Course are:
- Italian and foreign professionals of food and wine
- Italian and foreign food lovers and enthusiasts
The cultivation of the Cocoa bean
- Cocoa in the world
- Chocolate, an infinite mystery: the transformation from the seed to Chocolate and from chocolate to chocolates
- Technical aspect of cocoa
- Aromatic profiles of cocoa
- Artisan uses of Chocolate
Processing of Cocoa
- Cocoa: sensory analysis of 28 varieties from around the world
- The roasting
- The cracking of the bean: preparation of the cocoa bean from the whole bean to the nibs
- The grinding: first grinding of cocoa
- Recipes of Chocolate and application of the calculation programme
- The refining
- The conching
- The professional tempering technique
Ingredients, production, and use of Chocolate
- Artisan Chocolate: insight into the various techniques of melting and processing
- Manual Tempering of Chocolate: insights on the mechanical techniques in a continuous cycle
- The molding of chocolate for hollow casings: preparation of pralines with various fillings
- The Preparation of fillings: ganaches, princes, cremini or jellies
- Chocolate coatings: insights on the use of colors and metals
- The Preparation of small items in modeled Chocolate
- The processing of Satin Chocolate
- Small Pieces to showcase: the realization of an artistic piece to showcase
- New techniques for chocolate decoration
Professors of Chocolaterie
- In-depth lessons with theoretical and practical seminars held by world-renowned professional confectioners – Masters from the Academy of Master Chocolatiers
- Every day a different Master Chocolatier will prepare their own Chocolate specialty starting from the simple preparations to the most classified ones
Professional Internship (optional)
The student can choose whether to continue the program of the course by undergoing a period of internship (the internship is optional) lasting a total of 3 months (12 weeks) at patisseries or chocolate manufacturers previously selected by the Institute and who belong to the Academy of Master Chocolatiers.
In companies unable to provide lodgings, it will be at the student’s discretion to choose another company able to offer accommodation, otherwise, the school can be of assistance to find alternative lodgings, which will be at the student’s expense together with meals.
The fee for the Chocolaterie Course is 5.000,00 Euro. It is possible to enroll for a 1 week period, the fee for each weekly module is of 1.500,00 Euro. The fee for the Course includes:
- Accommodation at the ICIF guesthouse in small apartments (comprising of two bedrooms with one, two or three beds and a bathroom) and breakfast service for 3 weeks (week 1, 3 and 4)
- Hotel accommodation in Vicoforte during week 2, with breakfast service and meals from Monday to Friday, re-entry to the School on Saturday
- Meals at the Institute from Monday to Saturday (the School is closed on Sundays and on national holidays)
- Theoretical-practical lessons as indicated in the program
- Teaching materials (recipe booklets, audio-video systems, etc.)
- Food and wine products for the lessons and tastings
- Use of the equipment and utensils during lessons in the different laboratories
- A full Chef’s uniform: a Chef’s jacket with the ICIF logo, a pair of Chef’s pants, an apron with the ICIF logo and a bandana with the ICIF logo
- Assistance during the temporary residence permit and for the Italian tax identification number
- Bus transfer to and from Vicoforte for week 2
- Diploma from the Institute on completion of the course
Anything else not expressly specified above is not included.
ADDITIONAL FEES NOT INCLUDED IN THE FEE OF THE COURSE:
- 50 € for the health insurance that covers the basic medical expenses and the expenses or the recover to the Hospital only for accidents during the job time for the whole period of the course (only if the student does not stipulate already a Sanitary Insurance in his proper country).
- 50 € for those who intend to take advantage of the group bus transfer, only upon arrival in Italy, organized by the ICIF Institute on the Sunday before the beginning of the course, from Milan Malpensa airport. The payment of the 50 euro can be done in the balance of the course by bank transfer, or in cash or by credit card at the office of ICIF Direction on the first day of the course.
Scholarships are available to participants of Italian nationality who are resident in Italy. To find out how to apply, please contact us or call the ICIF Institute in Costigliole d’Asti.