Intern in this beautiful city on the shore of Lake Michigan, home to major global corporations and companies, with fantastic architecture, green parks, sandy beaches, great food, and exciting nightlife. Walk, bike, or take the "L" (the elevated and subway system) to work in this dynamic city of bold skyscrapers and major cultural events. For lunch, you can sample staples like deep-dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs. Grab a bag of caramel corn on the way back to the office for dessert! An IES internship in Chicago develops your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and provides substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today’s competitive job market.
You'll be guaranteed an unpaid placement at a local business or organization, where you'll work for at least 32 hours a week. We will work with you to help find the closest match between your expressed preferences and professional goals with what's available via IES Internships in Chicago. Before you go, your internship coordinator will work with you to fine-tune your résumé, perfect your cover letter, and hone your communication and interview skills as we prepare you for working in a new cultural environment.
Spend your free time exploring the many world-class museums, numerous neighborhoods, or some of the 580 parks and beaches, including the 696-an elevated park built upon an abandoned train line. Root for the Cubs at historic Wrigley Field on the north side or the White Sox at the modern U.S. Cellular Field on the south side. Save time for IES field trips and networking events.
Past students have interned in the fields listed below. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive. We encourage students of all majors to apply.
- Public Relations
- Public & Social Service
- Center: IES Abroad Chicago
- City: Chicago
- Country: United States
- Program Credits: 3 credits
- Language of Instruction: English
- Language Prerequisites: Non-native English speakers, please see the Eligibility Requirements
After you are admitted, refer to the Travel Dates section of the Predeparture Information in your MyIESabroad account before booking travel.
May 31-July 28
Upcoming Application Deadlines:
Application deadline has passed
While working in Chicago you’ll also enroll in a required 3-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you'll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. Topics covered include:
- Understanding workplace culture
- Improving communication
- Strengthening work attitude and aptitude
- Resolving conflicts
- Navigating issues, challenges, and opportunities so you can succeed on the job in Chicago and when you return home
- IN/OB 395 - Internship Seminar: Organizational Behavior (3 credits)
We want to make sure that your greatest challenge is deciding which landmarks to see first or discovering the best café—not finding a place to live where you feel comfortable. We do our best to locate housing that is reflective of how the local students are living. Our goal is that when you leave Chicago, it will feel like home. Live in a residence hall with three other IES interns in suite-style double rooms. Daily breakfast included. Optional meal plans are available for an additional fee.
Orientation When you arrive, the staff in Chicago will welcome you for orientation. This includes an introduction to the city with sessions about housing, commuting, and professional and cultural expectations.
- 18 years of age
- In good standing at your home school
- 2.5 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale (GPAs under 2.5 will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- At least sophomore standing before application; rising junior status at the time of program departure. (Students who have completed one year of undergraduate study may apply and will be considered on a case-by-base basis.)
- Students must be enrolled in a full-time degree program, or a graduate intending to begin their internship no more than 12 months after their graduation date (solid academic credentials related to studies or experience in the desired field of placement required); graduate students enrolled in a full-time degree program may apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Non-U.S. citizens attending U.S. schools: Native English fluency or test scores demonstrating English proficiency, including IELTS scores of 6.0 or above or TOEFL certificate with a score of 500 or above for paper or 60 or above for internet.
- Non-U.S. citizens attending school outside the U.S.: Native English fluency or IELTS score of 6.0 or above, taken within the last two years. Visit the IELTS website to find a test location near you. IES Abroad reserves the right, in its sole discretion, not to accept students who it believes do not have the necessary English language competency to succeed in an Internship Program, irrespective of the applicant's score on a language proficiency exam.
- International students studying at a U.S. college or university must take additional steps to obtain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) to be authorized to intern in the United States during the summer. Please be sure to discuss your options with an international student advisor at your home school before the application deadline as your school may have specific regulations.
Passport & Visa Requirements
Non-U.S. citizens must refer to their local consulate to learn about visa requirements and determine eligibility; IES Internships cannot advise on visa regulations for non-U.S. citizens. Please ensure you have the proper travel documentation to travel to the U.S. including a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the end date of the program, with at least two blank pages.
- Tuition: $4,390
- Housing: $2,560
- Total: $6,950
Consider these prices as a starting point. We encourage you to contact your study abroad office to determine the actual cost to you when factoring in financial aid, scholarships, your home school policies, and other factors.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 21, 2018