As the United States continues to compete in global markets, the need for manufacturing engineers who can design, build, operate, and manage competitive production systems has never been greater.
Excellence in three-dimensional design and production—especially knowledge of quality CAD, CAM, CNC machining, and robotics—remains critical as industries strive to reduce labor costs, increase productivity and profitability, tighten performance standards, and improve quality.
The certificate program educates students in the latest technologies through a hands-on, industry-based curriculum, and contributes to the formation of future leaders in manufacturing engineering.
Who Should Apply?
The program is open to students with a bachelor's degree and a background in engineering, science, or mathematics. The program is especially useful to professionals who want to enhance their understanding of one or more of the following areas:
Students interested in earning a graduate degree can often apply these certificate courses toward a Tufts master's degree in mechanical engineering, which focuses on professional practice and project work.
Program of Study
The certificate requires four courses:
Two core courses: required
- ME 125 Manufacturing Processes and Materials Technology
- ME 180 Digital Control of Dynamic Systems or ME 182 Automation or ME 184 Robotics
Two elective courses from the following:
- ME-0103 - Micro-Fabrication & Design (3 SHUs)
- ME-0108 - Statistical Quality Control (3 SHUs)
- ME-0123 - Mechanics of Composite and Heterogeneous Materials (3 SHUs)
- ME-0126 - Computer-Integrated Engineering (3 SHUs)
- ME-0129 - Finite Element Methods in Engineering Systems (3 SHUs)
- ME-0180 - Digital Control of Dynamic Systems (3 SHUs)
- ME-0184 - Robotics (3 SHUs)
- CEE-0188 - Building Informational Modeling (4 SHUs)
Course numbers/titles are subject to change. Descriptions are available on SIS.
State-of-the-Art Manufacturing Labs
Certificate students may interact with emerging technologies to design, build and test at the Mechanical Engineering Department's Bray Lab.
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement
- Official TOEFL or IELTS, if applicable
- One Letter of Recommendation
About the School
The Tufts University School of Engineering offers a rigorous engineering education in a unique environment that blends the intellectual and technological resources of a world-class research university ... Read More