Early Childhood Educators (ECE) plan and lead activities for preschool children to encourage their intellectual, physical, emotional, social, linguistic and cultural growth. Children acquire 85% of their personality, skills, and intellect by the time they're five years old. Be a part of their education during their most formative years.
Over the course of this program, students will:
- Progress in the written and spoken English language;
- Learn techniques that will help children learn through play;
- Develop skills to create a safe, healthy and stimulating childcare environment;
- Gain the ability to provide rich learning experiences for children to set the stage for lifelong learning.
- Delivery Method: In-class
- Starts: Winter, Spring and Fall
- Duration: 58 weeks (1 year, 1 month)
- Practicum: 8 weeks (2 months)
- Credential: Certificate
- Accreditation: Stenberg College is accredited by the BC government’s Ministry of Advanced Education through the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB).
- Articulation/Pathway: Graduates are granted transfer credits toward BCIT’s Business Management Advanced Diploma and upon completion have the option to continue to BCIT’s Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA).
- Designation: Program graduates qualify for licensure as Early Childhood Educators.
- Recognized by: BC Ministry of Children and Family Development’s Early Childhood Educator Registry.
Stenberg’s Early Childhood Education with Co-op is in a childcare facility, allowing students to gain hands-on experience while learning. The program teaches the Reggio Emilia approach, which highlights the importance of learning through play and that children must be free to choose what they want to do in a safe and stimulating environment. When ECEs support this play in a warm and nurturing manner, it enhances the development.
- ECE English for Academic Purposes
- Orientation and Student Success Skills
- Early Childhood Education Foundations
- Child Growth & Development I
- Child Growth & Development II
- Emerging Curriculum
- Observation & Recording
- Health, Safety and Nutrition
- Guidance and Caring
- Curriculum Development Courses (Music & Movement, Creative Art, Language & Literature, Science, Socials & Math)
- Family-Teacher Relations
- Practicum Seminar & Practicum 1 & 2
- Career Search Strategies
As an Early Childhood Educator, you could find work in the following locations:
- Profit or non-profit childcare center
- Parent participation preschool
- Private nursery school
- Inclusive childcare preschool
- Before and after school care center
- Group daycare
- Family daycare
- Child-minding services
In addition to full-time work, there are opportunities for part-time and self-employment, such as owning and operating your own licensed childcare center.
- Grade 12 graduation or 19+ years of age
- Meet language proficiency requirement as stated below
- Completion of ‘Proof of 50 hours of volunteer work with children aged 3-5’ form
- Completion of ‘Reference letter’ stating suitability to work with children form
- Completion of ‘Program & Career Outcomes’ form
Language Proficiency Requirements
Overall IELTS Academic Test score of 5.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 5.0 in Reading and Writing. It must be within the last 2 years.
*Other English assessments are acceptable.
About the School
For over 28 years, Stenberg College has specialized in and excelled at health care and human services education. Our main campus is located in Surrey, British Columbia, a suburb of Vancouver and B.C.’ ... Read More