Become the face behind those delectable cake shop creations. Melbourne Polytechnic's Certificate III in Patisserie will develop your creativity and passion for detail as you take the first step in your career as a pastry chef.
You are an artist
In this dynamic industry, reputations are developed on the back of hard work. Pastry chefs are the artists of the hospitality industry and qualified pastry chefs are in constant demand. Use the Certificate III in Patisserie to earn recognition for your skills and dedication.
Sweeten your career opportunities
You’ll work alongside qualified industry professionals using the latest pastry methodologies and facilities. You’ll learn your trade in our commercial kitchens in Prahran and Preston, then showcase your creations in Melbourne Polytechnic’s fully operational, award-winning restaurant, St Georges.
Industry connections and resources
Our staff have many contacts within the industry and we are affiliated with the Channel 10 TV program MasterChef Australia.
Successful completion of this course means you could find work, as:
- chef specialising in patisserie
- boutique patisseries
- qualified pastry cooks
You may already be in the workplace or industry. You’ll also have the opportunity to work in our St Georges Restaurant for real work experience.
Trade Support Loan (TSL) program
Australian apprentices undertaking this course may be eligible for the Commonwealth Government’s new Trade Support Loan (TSL) program.
We use various forms of assessment, including practical assessment, assignments, class work, self-evaluation and direct observation.
Various forms of assessment may be used, including practical assessment, assignments, class work, self evaluation and direct observation.
Pathways to further study
On successful completion of the Certificate III in Patisserie, you can articulate into Melbourne Polytechnic's Diploma of Hospitality and Bachelor of Hospitality Management.
A career in patisserie can take you anywhere, from dedicated patisseries and small restaurants to international hotels and resorts. The world is your oyster.
There are no educational prerequisites for this course. Students should have basic literacy and mathematics skills.
- Academic: Australian Year 11 equivalency
- English: Academic IELTS 5.5 overall with no individual band below 5.0, or equivalency. Other: Full-time only – at Melbourne Polytechnic’s Preston campus.
Units of Study
The hours displayed are nominal, actual classroom hours delivered may differ. Please contact the department for the latest student contact hours information.
Code Subjects Hours
- BSBSUS201A PARTICIPATE IN ENVIRONMENTALLY SUSTAINABLE WORK PRACTICES 20
- BSBWOR203B WORK EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS 15
- HLTAID003 PROVIDE FIRST AID 18
- SITHCCC101 USE FOOD PREPARATION EQUIPMENT 25
- SITHCCC103 PREPARE SANDWICHES 10
- SITHCCC201 PRODUCE DISHES USING BASIC METHODS OF COOKERY 45
- SITHCCC207 USE COOKERY SKILLS EFFECTIVELY 50
- SITHFAB204 PREPARE AND SERVE ESPRESSO COFFEE 30
- SITHKOP101 CLEAN KITCHEN PREMISES AND EQUIPMENT 13
- SITHKOP302 PLAN AND COST BASIC MENUS 30
- SITHPAT301 PRODUCE CAKES 24
- SITHPAT302 PRODUCE GATEAUX, TORTEN AND CAKES 60
- SITHPAT303 PRODUCE PASTRIES 24
- SITHPAT304 PRODUCE YEAST BASED BAKERY PRODUCTS 42
- SITHPAT305 PRODUCE PETITS FOURS 30
- SITHPAT306 PRODUCE DESSERTS 100
- SITHPAT402 PRODUCE CHOCOLATE CONFECTIONARY 60
- SITXFSA101 USE HYGIENIC PRACTICES FOR FOOD SAFETY 15
- SITXFSA201 PARTICIPATE IN SAFE FOOD HANDLING PRACTICES 40
- SITXHRM301 COACH OTHERS IN JOB SKILLS 20
- SITXINV202 MAINTAIN QUALITY PERISHABLE SUPPLIES 10
- SITXWHS101 PARTICIPATE IN SAFE WORK PRACTICES 12
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 7, 2018