THIS PROGRAM IS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
The Smart Lighting study program teaches students to acquire a general vision of the latest lighting innovations and to know the available smart and digital lighting systems.
In the last years, the lighting market has been delivering constant innovation through research and new technologies. The term Smart Lighting is usually associated to control technologies and energy efficiency. In this course, we want to focus on a broader meaning of this term, intended as careful use of technology which promotes comfort, convenience, ease of use, earth-friendly and human-centric lighting design, while also inspiring creative and informed lighting solutions for people.
Light design is a science and an art at the same time, and the latest technologies open new expressive opportunities that connect with people from a perceptual and emotional point of view. This is especially valuable in the most creative and artistic field, but also cultural, retail, hospitality, and commercial spaces benefit from these innovations.
General objectives of the course
- Acquire a general vision of the latest lighting innovations.
- Know the available smart and digital lighting systems.
- Understand the potential and possible use of new technologies as expressive or strategic tools, for sustainability or creativity.
- Explore both functional and creative applications.
- Put into practice the knowledge, through workshops, testing, and lighting mock-ups.
- Be able to generate creative and informed projects and communicate them.
IED Master school provides continuing training, qualifications, specializations and the chance to keep up-to-date with all aspects of design, backed by the rich historical and cultural heritage of Italian design.
Our strategy for the future is always in tune with social, environmental and financial macrotrends, and we keep a watchful eye on the changes that our cities and surroundings will need to adapt to over the coming 30 years. We believe that we can provide answers and solutions through design.
Our teaching here at IED Master is based on the four scenarios we consider crucial to face the needs of the future: a design for sustainable development, design for new business models, design for new media and design for people.
Our goal is to train professionals who are capable of harnessing cultural values and design tools to not only overcome the challenges of the future but create and drive innovation. We want our students to take responsibility for their training path and learn how to steer it with the support and tutoring of experts and professionals.
At IED Master, we see the School as a laboratory where students can be innovative, enterprising and a driving force; where they are free to experiment and create.
Graduates in Architecture, Fine Arts, Product Design, Interior Design, Engineering and other design-related disciplines who want to explore new technologies and their smart applications, both on the functional and on the creative side.
Students must provide the following information:
- Copy of DNI (Spanish students) or passport (foreign students).
- Copy of university degree (bachelor’s, degree or equivalent).
- Letter of motivation in the language of the Master’s degree course.
- A CV in the language of the Master’s degree course specifying language and IT skills.
- Language certificate: Courses in English require an intermediate level, corresponding to TOEFL or IELTS 6.5. Courses in Spanish require a B2 language level. If a prospective student has neither of these certificates, his or her language skills will be assessed in a face-to-face interview or via a Skype call.
- Portfolio for creative Master’s degree courses and/or admission exercise if required.
- Lighting Designers specialized in ephemeral, cultural or event lighting.
- Lighting Designers specialized in smart lighting technologies and applications.
- Light Artists.
- Lighting projects responsible within a digital lighting manufacturer or distributor firm.
Michela Mezzavilla, architect and lighting designer (APDI) based in Barcelona, Spain, is one of the founders of studio reMM, dedicated to architecture and lighting design.
In her carrier she designed all sorts of lighting projects, with various magnitudes and approaches: from big assignments for renowned architect firms such as Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners or Atelier Jean Nouvel, to small budget projects with clever solutions; from cutting edge installations to low tech artistic setups.
Actively committed to promoting the culture of light through articles, workshops, talks, and cultural initiatives, she is the director of the Lighting courses at IED Barcelona and also lectures in several design and architecture universities. Her works have been selected at lighting design Awards such as FAD and Lamp, Iluminet and Panorama.