THIS PROGRAM IS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
The Lighting for Retail and Commercial Spaces study program teaches how to use light as a powerful tool for design and expression in commercial spaces, an increasingly competitive and changing sector. Artificial lighting technology is nowadays in constant evolution, requiring specific knowledge and expertise in order to fully master its potential.
Whether natural or artificial, light has a strong connection with people and the way they experience the space around them: acting on perception and sensations and influencing people’s comfort, activity and the choices they make.
Lighting design is, therefore, a crucial part of the design of any space and experience. In Commercial Spaces, it is especially essential, as it determines the overall look and feel of the environment and the well-being and behavior of the actual users of that space. In hospitality, retail and offices, lighting are closely linked to the brand image, making it a key element to design a complete and consistent user experience, meeting all the commercial requirements.
General objectives of the course
- Acquire a general vision of the art and technique of lighting design.
- Develop complete lighting design projects, from concept through development and execution, with a special focus on commercial spaces.
- Know the available lighting systems, products, and technologies.
- Train in lighting calculation and representation tools. – Put into practice the knowledge, through workshops, testing, and lighting mock-ups.
- Know the current professional lighting landscape and its multidisciplinary ecosystem.
- Be able to generate powerful projects and communicate them.
IED Master school provides continuing training, qualifications, specializations and the chance to keep up-to-date with all aspects of design, backed by the rich historic and cultural heritage of Italian design.
Our strategy for the future is always in tune with social, environmental and financial macrotrends, and we keep a watchful eye on the changes that our cities and surroundings will need to adapt to over the coming 30 years. We believe that we can provide answers and solutions through design.
Our teaching here at IED Master is based on the four scenarios we consider crucial to face the needs of the future: a design for sustainable development, design for new business models, design for new media and design for people.
Our goal is to train professionals who are capable of harnessing cultural values and design tools to not only overcome the challenges of the future but create and drive innovation. We want our students to take responsibility for their training path and learn how to steer it with the support and tutoring of experts and professionals.
At IED Master, we see the School as a laboratory where students can be innovative, enterprising and a driving force; where they are free to experiment and create.
Graduates in Architecture, Fine Arts, Product Design, Interior Design and Engineering, and other design related profiles who want to get the necessary knowledge for the development of a lighting design project, both under an aesthetic and a technical point of view.
Students must provide the following information:
- Copy of DNI (Spanish students) or passport (foreign students).
- Copy of university degree (bachelor’s, degree or equivalent).
- Letter of motivation in the language of the Master’s degree course.
- A CV in the language of the Master’s degree course specifying language and IT skills.
- Language certificate: Courses in English require an intermediate level, corresponding to TOEFL or IELTS 6.5. Courses in Spanish require a B2 language level. If a prospective student has neither of these certificates, his or her language skills will be assessed in a face-to-face interview or via a Skype call.
- Portfolio for creative Master’s degree courses and/or admission exercise if required.
- Professional Lighting Designers.
- Lighting Design responsible within an architectural, interior design, landscape or engineering office.
- Lighting projects responsible for a lighting manufacturer or distributor firm.
Michela Mezzavilla, architect and lighting designer (APDI) based in Barcelona, Spain, is one of the founders of studio reMM, dedicated to architecture and lighting design.
In her carrier she designed all sorts of lighting projects, with various magnitudes and approaches: from big assignments for renowned architect firms such as Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners or Atelier Jean Nouvel, to small budget projects with clever solutions; from cutting edge installations to low tech artistic setups.
Actively committed to promoting the culture of light through articles, workshops, talks, and cultural initiatives, she is the director of the Lighting courses at IED Barcelona and also lectures in several design and architecture universities. Her works have been selected at lighting design Awards such as FAD and Lamp, Iluminet and Panorama.
Duration and frequency
- Start: April 27th, 2020
- Timetable: Monday, Wednesday and alternate Fridays from 6.30pm to 10.40pm
- Frequency: 3 months