Business and Management - International Foundation Semester full-time
The International Foundation Semester will provide you with an introduction to key concepts and theories in Business and Management. In addition, you will develop your language and communication skills so you are prepared for degree-level study. You will also learn how to use resources, understand and evaluate academic theories in English and discuss ideas using academic language.
About the course
The International Foundation Semester covers language, academic skills and Business and Management modules.
You will develop your reading, writing, speaking and listening competence to a high level (IELTS 6.0 equivalent). Classes will also focus on understanding and using academic texts, writing university assignments, participating in lectures and seminars and other key academic study skills.
Subject classes will focus on a range of areas within Business and Management including financial and legal frameworks, business organisation, current issues in business and ICT and statistics.
- A combination of language, skills and subject knowledge.
- Three intakes a year: September, January and May/June.
- Option to join our International Society, make friends and visit places of interest around the UK.
What you will study
You will study two Language and Skills modules which include the following:
- Reading – understanding academic texts, using ideas from reading;
- Writing – different types of university assignment, grammar, vocabulary, structuring and organising writing;
- Speaking – presenting your ideas in seminars and discussions, group and individual presentations, communicating with staff and other students;
- Listening – understanding lectures and taking notes, following seminar discussions;
- Finding and using resources in the library and online;
- Referencing, synthesis and avoiding plagiarism;
- Preparing and submitting university assignments;
- Dealing with feedback;
- Time management;
- Using the University Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle);
- Communicating with tutors.
In addition you will study two Business and Management modules from:
ICT and Statistics for Business
Current Issues in Business
Financial and Legal Frameworks
- Business Management in Organisations.
High School Leaving Certificate or similar.
You must have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) as recognised by the UK Border Agency. These include tests such as IELTS and PTE Academic. If you have a different qualification, please contact the Admissions team for advice.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017