In this course you will learn all the necessary methods, principles, approaches, and tools, to become a successful manager of a business or a small team. You will however not only find out about theoretical aspects of being a manager, but you will also improve many practical skills, such as planning, organization, leadership, control, analytical thinking, decision-making, strategy-making, and its implementation, human resources, and more.
Business Management will concentrate on operating a small business. While business theories and case studies will be used, the majority of this course will be a true workshop in which the student will learn real-life applications on how to manage a small business. Real life issues of finance, taxes, staff and employees, marketing, vendors, inventory, ops, and quality control will be utilized to give as realistic view as possible for the students enter the business world.
Through examinations of key strategic decisions taken at a number of real, successful small businesses, the learners will be creating a solid foundation for further studies in business or will be able to apply these insights directly to their own budding business ventures. Students will be taught to write a realistic business plan.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9:00 - 14:00
Credits: You will receive an official Certificate of Attendance upon completion of your course. Please inform the organizing staff if you require any extra supplements, such as the Transcript of Records. The student is eligible to receive up to 5 ECTS credits, however, please follow the instructions here and consult the acknowledgment process with your university in advance.
Price: Course fee includes the application fee, study materials, and afternoon/evening social activities and events, welcome and goodbye drink. Other expenses, such as transportation, meals, accommodation, insurance, personal expenses, extra activities (such as trips outside of town, entrance fees, some of the sport activities and rentals), and required equipment (i.e. personal laptop) are not included in the price.
Accommodation: For accommodation options, please visit the dedicated page.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- analyze the processes through which business ideas are evaluated
- identify the characteristics of successful business
- identify and describe strategies for supporting a business
- distinguish between business ideas and opportunities
- creating a formalized business plan, and perform this task
- create a marketing plan, and perform this task
- knowledge about financing business ventures
- knowledge about leading and staffing a business
- identify and describe teambuilding dynamics
B1 CEF absolute minimum, B2 and above strongly recommended
This course is designed for students enrolled in a relevant bachelor’s course or students wishing to start their own businesses
A laptop (or a tablet) is strongly recommended
Each meeting will have tasks and assignments. These daily tasks will be a mixture of team-work and individual work. These tasks alone will determine the students' grade. Students will receive immediate same day feedback on all assignments. A final project of a business plan will also be assigned.
All workshop tasks combined will comprise of 75% of the student’s grade and the business plan will comprise the remaining 25%.
- What is a Small business/Entrepreneurship?
- Business Skills
- Strategic Ownership/Mgmt
- Buying an existing business
Day 2, 3 and 4
- Building a business plan (SWOT)
- BRIE Model
- Marketing/Guerrilla Mktg
- Creating a solid financial plan
- Managing CashFlow
Day 5 and 6
- Small business Mkg strategies
- Pricing and credit
- Integrated Mtkg communications
- E-commerce and the Entrepreneurship
- Equity Financing
- Debt Financing
- Location, location, and location
- Layout and physical facilities
- Business Mgmt 101
- Purchasing, quality control, and vendors
- Project Management
- Managing Inventory
- Legal, Ethics and Govt Regs
- Succession Mgmt and Risk Mgmt
- Value-based firm
- Biy law and govt regulation
*Program/Course Outline is subject to change.