»BUILD YOUR BAUHAUS«
EXPERIENCE THE BAUHAUS-IDEA AND LEARN MORE ABOUT THE INFLUENCE OF THE BAUHAUS ON OUR LIFE!
The Bauhaus was a school, not a design studio. Walter Gropius wanted to educate a new generation of designers, which is why he wanted his pupils to learn a craft and to work in the workshops. He encouraged them to gain hands-on experience in the workshops. Those experiences seemed to him to be the best way of finding the design for a new century. The objects were not bestsellers from the beginning, but rather stations on the road to something new.
We will follow the advice of Gropius and the traces of the Bauhaus in our workshop. We will start in the museums with the drafts and products of the Bauhaus pupils and end up in the wood workshop, where we will bring our projects to life.
We will visit the Bauhaus sights and museums in Weimar and Dessau. We will sleep in the Bauhaus building in Dessau. Another stop will be the Grassi museum of art and craft in Leipzig. The old designs are supposed to inspire us for the workshop training.
The wood-workshop of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar is our base for the design and the manufacturing of models, mock-ups and prototypes. We use wood and all kinds of tools and machines to build our models there.
Results will be shown in a little exhibition at the end of the course. You will take your piece with you. The cost of shipping may vary.
Please note: This course includes a trip to Dessau. Therefore it is not necessary to register for the excursion to Dessau when you apply for this course.
The course language is English.
Certificate & Credit Points
After successful completion of this course you will receive a certificate of participation. It will show the course title, the date and duration of the course, the number of contact hours as well as the main contents and topics.
Participants will earn 3 credit points (ECTS).
The course takes place all day from Monday until Friday. It is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons to receive credit points.
The course is intended for everyone who is interested in the history of the Bauhaus and its effects on our lives. Participants should bring along curiosity and courage for the Bauhaus-experience.
1. Online Registration
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2017 as one pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae: max. two pages
- Letter of motivation: Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
- Task: In 1925 Walter Gropius designed the new building for the Bauhaus in Dessau. People also call it a cathedral of modernity. Which other buildings or products are just as important to you? Please send sketches of 3 examples with a short description (no photos).
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
Please note the following points:
- Only one pdf-file (max. 5 MB)
- Email with subject »Application Build Your Bauhaus«
- Name of pdf-file »Build_Your_Bauhaus_family name_first name«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 15 May 2017 via e-mail and will have to confirm participation within 3 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
After you have confirmed your participation you will receive the invoice for your specialised course until the end of May.
If you need a VISA, we recommend to inform now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 12 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee is 700 EURO.
- 500 EURO for students & alumni
- 300 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Programme according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying programme (except excursions)
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar
PLEASE NOTE: expenses for train ticket and accommodation (ca. 45 EURO) during the excursion to Dessau are NOT included and will have to be paid on-site in cash.