With great influence in commerce, education, media, fashion, and the arts, Barcelona has made its mark as a major player in the global market.
Our program guarantees* an internship placement to help you develop professional skills that will jump-start your career and make you more attractive to employers in today’s competitive job market. IES Internships’ unpaid, academic internships have placed Barcelona interns in fields such as IT, journalism, and tourism, while also showing them the sights and sounds of Spain.
Before you depart, we work with you to fine-tune your résumé, perfect your cover letter, and hone your networking and interviewing skills, as well as prepare you for working in a new cultural environment. You’ll be an intern at a local business or organization, where you’ll work for at least 25 hours a week. You also will enroll in a required 3- or 6-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you’ll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. You can enroll in an optional 3-credit Spanish language course, as well.
With IES Internships’ dedicated staff and international connections, you can be sure that you’ll have an internship that meets your goals. You’ll learn, and learn to stand out!
Spend your free time getting to know Barcelona through IES Abroad-organized cultural events, also known as DiscoverIES, and an optional field trip. Past destinations have included Costa Brava and the Pyrenees.
Past students have had internships in Barcelona like the examples listed below. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive. We encourage students of all majors to apply.
- Sports and entertainment media company
- Family support and education center providing space for moms to meet, work, tend to their pregnancy, and exercise, while their children enjoy activities like tai-chi and language classes
- Medical center specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Internationally-recognized real estate company representing the Iberian Peninsula
- Global personnel recruitment firm with partners in South America, Asia, and Europe
- The mobile game development company
- Online e-sports community directed at fans
- Hospital specializing in pediatrics, gynecology, and obstetrics
- Public elementary and primary school working with children from underserved communities
- Global venture capital fund specializing in the internationalization of startups across Europe and Asia
*Some placements may require a knowledge of Spanish. Speak with your IES Internships Advisor to learn more.
Spend your free time exploring Barcelona, an architectural wonderland of Gaudí masterpieces (La Sagrada Familia, Park Güell), the historic old city, and Las Ramblas. Save time for IES Abroad organized field trips outside the city (additional cost).
Our Academic Seminar
While working in Barcelona, you’ll enroll in a required, 3-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns and students, offered in English or Spanish. In summer, a 6-credit seminar option is available, as well. Regardless of which option you choose, you’ll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. Topics covered include:
- Understanding workplace culture
- Improving communication
- Strengthening work attitude and aptitude
- Resolving conflicts
- Navigating issues, challenges, and opportunities so you can succeed in the job in Barcelona and when you return home
You may also opt into a 3-credit Spanish language course taught at the Center to complement the summer internship program.
This is a list of planned course offerings. A final list of course offerings will be made available to you in your MyIESabroad account.
- IN 395 - Leading Across Cultures - Internship Seminar (6 credits) (Summer)
- IN 395A - Leading Across Cultures - Internship Seminar (in English - 3 credits) (Fall, Spring, Summer)
- IN 395B - Leading Across Cultures - Internship Seminar (in Spanish - 3 credits) (Fall, Spring, Summer)
- SP 101 - Spanish Language in Context: Novice Abroad I (Summer - 3 credits)
- SP 221 - Spanish for Professions: Novice Abroad III (Summer - 3 credits)
- SP 321 - Spanish for Professions: Emerging Independent Abroad (Summer - 3 credits)
Field Trips & Events
Although your adventure begins in Barcelona, our DiscoverIES take you to other great cities in and around Spain. DiscoverIES brings you closer to the Barcelonan and Spanish culture through a broad array of activities that merge together the academic insight provided by field trips and the guidance of our faculty. They provide contrast and context for what you are learning in Barcelona.
All DiscoverIES are an additional cost and availability will depend on your work schedule. Here are a few possible destinations.
South of France
3 days | Spring
Visit Carcassonne to learn about its rich history, and enjoy a boat ride nearby. Next, head to Lastours to see castles and the Fontfroide Abbey. The last stop is in Perpignan, where you will have the chance to compare the difference between the Spanish Catalan and French Catalan cultures.
Part of making you feel at home in Barcelona is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or our DiscoverIES that take you to places off the beaten path—we’re all about our student services.
Upon arrival in Barcelona, you’ll participate in orientation with other interns and students. Orientation covers practical information on housing, transportation, and extracurricular activities; professional and cultural expectations; learn about Barcelona and Catalan culture. A study journey (2 days) is included. Tarragona is a past destination.
Apartments - Live in a furnished apartment with three to five interns in double or triple rooms along with a live-in Barcelona Cultural Companion who will be your guide to living in the city. This option does not include meals but offers access to a fully equipped kitchen.
Consider these prices as a starting point. We encourage you to contact your study abroad office to determine the actual cost to you when factoring in financial aid, scholarships, your home school policies, and other factors.
Scholarships & Aid
Summer Need-Based Financial Aid
Up to $1,000.
Open to students who apply to and attend an IES Abroad or IES Internships summer program.
Criteria reviewed to determine award:
- Level of financial need as determined from the information provided on the application. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients;
- IES Abroad program location;
- IES Abroad membership status of the home campus.
Summer Social Impact Internship Scholarship
Up to 100% of room and board costs based on financial need + $1000 travel grant.
The Summer Social Impact Internship Scholarship was initiated by the Hemera Foundation, whose mission is to foster basic human goodness in individuals and society. This Scholarship, which will be sustained through a foundation collaborative, aims to inspire students to make a social impact through summer internships within philanthropic or direct service/social service organizations.
The IES Abroad Barcelona Center is located in the center of Barcelona near the Plaza Catalunya. Features include:
- High-speed and wireless internet access
- Multimedia classrooms
- Study lounges with printers
- Large outdoor terrace with social and study space
About the School
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectation ... Read More