Build your future
Have you just finished your A-levels? Or are you an electrician, plumber, HVAC technician or in facilities management? If you look after Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) systems and want to develop your skills, this HND course is for you.
Alongside M&E systems, we’ll cover energy conservation and environmental impact. In line with modern engineering practice, you’ll also develop your management and communication skills, helping you to realize your full career potential.
Why study HND Building Services Engineering at LSBU?
- Heritage: we have been running courses for the Building Services Engineering industry since 1947.
- Professional accreditation: part accredited by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) and the Energy Institute.
- Future proof: Major projects in London and the raised focus on the environment and sustainability are resulting in an increased demand for those graduating from this course.
- Study modes to suit you: study full-time or part-time one day a week.
- Our specialist staff are experts, with a great deal to share.
- We have one of the best laboratory–workshop complexes in London.
- 1st for graduate prospects amongst London competitors in Building (Sunday Times 2019).
- Ranked 2nd amongst London competitors for overall satisfaction in Building courses (National Student Survey 2018).
Key course information - ordered by mode
We’ll cover a wide range of mechanical and electrical building services. Energy conservation and environmental impact are always at the forefront of our teaching. You can expect to develop your management and communication skills, maths and science skills (applied to buildings), technical skills and team working.
- Engineering mathematics
- Electrical principles
- Thermofluids principles
- Construction practice
- Introduction to building services engineering
- Foundation engineering mathematics
- Internal environment and comfort
- Heating and ventilation systems
- Thermofluids engineering
- Refrigeration, air-conditioning and heat pump engineering
- Design applications
- Electrical services in buildings
This course will equip you for a career in the building services engineering industry in areas such as design and construction; consulting engineering; and maintenance and facilities management. Recent graduates have gone onto a range of engineering roles within building services including pipefitter/fabricator, draughtsman and applications engineer.
Major projects in London and the raised focus on the environment and sustainability are resulting in an increased demand for those graduating from this course.
We run a very active and well-utilized careers page on our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) to provide both a shop window for employers seeking recruits and trainees and links to major external recruitment agencies.
We also facilitate employer recruitment visits on campus and provide advertising for graduate recruitment open events at company offices.
Good graduates from the HND course can apply to top-up with our BEng Building Services Engineering. This will complete the academic requirements for Incorporated Engineer status.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
- A Level EEE or;
- BTEC National Diploma MPP or;
- Access to HE qualifications with 45 Passes or;
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 64 UCAS points
- Supported by substantial relevant work experience
- Level 3 qualifications must include Maths and Physics
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
We welcome qualifications from around the world. English language qualifications for international students: IELTS score of 6.0 or Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Grade C.