If you want to gain the audio and tech skills to work as a professional producer and sound engineer, then this foundation degree offered in partnership with Nottingham Trent University is for you!
REFINE YOUR PRODUCTION SKILLS
You will undertake an in-depth study of audio production processes, from initiation to final mastering, alongside the development of key musicianship skills. From this, you will produce a body of creative work.
DEVELOP RECORDING AND MIXING SKILLS
Learn how to engineer sound recording projects, both in the studio and on location. You will examine sound manipulation technologies and refine listening skills for mixing.
INVESTIGATE THE SCIENCE OF SOUND
Get to grips with the science behind the sound. You will study sound theory, analog and digital audio principles, room and instrument acoustics, as well as the design and application of audio systems.
INTERACT WITH THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
You will get to understand the contemporary music industry, working on commissions from clients and on self-directed projects, which will develop your industry practice.
REASONS TO CHOOSE US
- Delivered in partnership with the 2017 University of the Year, Nottingham Trent University (NTU), which has the excellent satisfaction and employment rates.
- Practical, vocational content. Foundation degrees are less ‘academic’ than full degrees.
- Flexible study options – you can hop off and on.
- You can top up to a full degree at Nottingham Trent University which can lead to a Masters.
- Entry requirements are lower than for a full degree – 64 UCAS points which is a pass/pass/merit grade on a Level 3 RSL or BTEC extended diploma.
- Industry practice is integral to both programmes with unique industry opportunities
- Benefit from being a student with NTU, including student union membership and access to online library facilities.
- Dedicated library.
- Professional environments and taught by industry professionals.
- Industry standard equipment.
DEVELOP YOUR CREATIVE CAREER
Choosing this Audio & Music Technology foundation degree is a great way to break into the creative industries.
The creative sector is one of the fastest growing areas of the UK economy and a great and exciting place in which to work.
This foundation degree can lead onto:
- A top-up one year course leading to a full BA degree and then a Masters if you wish.
- Employment, or self-employment, in the creative industries. This may be as a freelance producer or sound engineer, or it may be into another area of the music or creative industries.
- A creative higher apprenticeship as a stepping stone to work.
GET INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
Being at Access is so much more than just doing a course. You will have the chance to get the first-hand experience of the music and creative industries.
Here are some of the opportunities you can take advantage of:
- EVENTS: You’ll have unique opportunities to work at events. These range from a local gig to the chance to engineer a festival stage at events such as Latitude organized by partner, Festival Republic.
- MUSIC GLUE: Music Glue is a global direct-to-fan platform used by 26,000 artists worldwide to sell tickets, merchandise, music and more directly to their audience from one customizable website.
- DISTRIBEAT: A partnership with a worldwide distribution company, Distribeat, which allows you to market your music through all major online stores including iTunes.
- MASTERCLASSES: Access promotes industry masterclasses by artists represented by Tri-Tone and 7 pm Management. These enable you to gain advice and guidance from working musicians and producers.
- TWINE: All our students get free Twine membership, which is an online platform allowing creative people to collaborate on projects and earn money!
- FOCUSRITE: Access is proud of its partnership with Focusrite. You will have the chance to get your hands on over £500 of FREE Focusrite audio plug-ins, supported by special Focusrite workshops.
GET A QUALIFICATION
On successful completion you will get a recognized qualification which you can add to your creative CV:
- Foundation degree in Audio & Music Technology accredited by Nottingham Trent University.
- You can upgrade your foundation Degree into a full BSc by undertaking a top-up year at Nottingham. This can lead on to a Masters if you wish.
- Nottingham Trent is 2017 the University of the Year.
- 94% of graduates and 95% of postgraduates are employed or engaged in further study six months after leaving.
- 93% of students would recommend studying at NTU.
DAY TO DAY PRACTICALITIES
- The Audio & Music Technology foundation degree lasts for 2 years.
- It is delivered 3-4 days per week, from September to June.
- You’ll develop your skills in dedicated HE facilities, such as music tech suites and recording studios. You will also gain exclusive access to extra facilities in the evenings.
- Tuition fees are £9250 per year.
- A non-means-tested, a tuition fee loan may be available and is linked to the cost of your course. You can apply to borrow some of or all of the cost of your tuition fees and if you apply and are granted a loan, this will be paid directly to your Higher Education Institute by Student Finance England. You don’t start repaying this loan until you have graduated and are earning over £25,000. Payments come directly out of your salary, so you don’t have to worry about it.
See 9 more programs offered by Access Creative College »
This course is