Associate of Science in Business
The goal of the Metropolitan College of New York's business degree programs is to provide access and enhance professional mobility of students traditionally denied access or who might otherwise find it difficult or impossible for reasons of age, race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or income to obtain an education in keeping with their aspirations and abilities; to engage them in the development and empowerment of the global business and larger social community; and, to encourage exemplary individual and corporate moral and ethical behavior and provide them with the knowledge necessary for mastery of successful business and managerial skills and responsibilities.
About This Program
The AS/BBA business curriculum is geared to providing practical, nuts-and-bolts courses specifically focusing on the needs of business students, while simultaneously providing grounding in the relevant historical and philosophical contexts. The Bachelor degree spans eight semesters (Purposes) each of which entails five dimensions: Purpose, Values and Ethics, Self and Others, Systems and Skills, which are the cornerstone of the MCNY's Purpose-Centered Education Model. The model necessarily and simultaneously calls for a direct nexus between theory and Purpose as well as theory and practice, and derives from the belief that theory married to practice in a contemporaneous manner is the optimum approach to ensuring that knowledge applied is indeed wisdom gained.
Each semester, students carry out a project that on organizational improvement or entrepreneurial development that demonstrates how they use knowledge to take action to master the semester's purpose. These credit-bearing research documents reflect actual business planning, implementation and assessment. The Constructive Actions demonstrate how each student uniquely fuses academic/professional knowledge with organizational goals and operations. Students can arrange for valuable internships or career placement through our dynamic Office of Career Services. The business degree that you want is within your reach and the future that you want is attainable. Ours is a program that completely fits both your life and career goals. This unique blend of the personal and the professional is what makes MCNY different from other colleges.
Highlight of the degree program:
- Program is fully accredited by Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), both the Associate of Science and Bachelor of Business Administration.
- The total number of credits to compete the Associate degree is 60 and 120 credits for the Bachelor's degree.
- Faculty who are practitioners and experts in the field they teach.
- Career track concentrations and options.
- Entrepreneurship - New Venture Financing and Entrepreneurial Marketing
- Accounting - Managerial Accounting
- Project Management - Introduction to Project Management and International Human Resource Management
- Associate degree can be complete in 1 year 4 four months.
- Bachelor degree can be completed in 2 years eight months.
- Students have the option of greater scheduling flexibility through several online course options.
- There is increased use of technology in the delivery of the curriculum to build student abilities to function in a high-tech knowledge based economy and world.
- New industry-relevant courses are added to curriculum (Project Management, Small Business Management, etc.).
This 60 credit degree may be completed in just 1 year, 4 months. The degree features a 4-semester sequence, in which students explore up to 3 different concentrations.
The following are additional statistics from the NYS Department of Labor. They seem to be more available for New York and vicinity now, not just the entire state.
In New York City and the surrounding region, employment prospects for business degree graduates (undergraduate and graduate) are very favorable. For example, the mean salary for accountants and auditors is $74,000.
In addition, jobs are projected to be plentiful for supervisors of office and administrative support workers. The same holds true for booking, accounting and auditing clerks at beginning salaries of $38,400.
An increase was projected in positions for Compensation and Benefits Managers and Job Analysis Specialists ranging from approximately $64,000 - $113,000 through 2016. As an aside (for placement in the human services information), Social and Community Service Managers with a Bachelor's degree-employment prospects between now and 2016 are extremely favorable, with salaries reaching $77,000 per annum.