The Hospitality and Tourism Management program prepares students for employment in management positions in the hospitality industry and/or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations. The hospitality industry includes the hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, resort, club, marina, and other lodging organizations. The program content includes knowledge and skill training in customer service, management and supervisory development, management theory, hospitality attitude, guest experience, decision making, organization, communications, human relations, leadership training, personnel training, security, sanitation, food and beverage management, sales, hotel accounting, housekeeping, energy management, maintenance and engineering, marketing, property, resort, and convention management, and applicable local, state, and federal laws and asset management. Graduates in this program can enter into positions such as Catering & Sales Representative, Guest Services Representative, Food & Beverage Specialist, Guest Services Specialist, Hospitality Supervisor, Catering & Sales Supervisor, Food & Beverage Supervisor, Guest Services Supervisor, Assistant Hospitality Manager, Hospitality Manager, and Motel/Hotel Manager.
PROGRAM OF STUDY FOR THE HOSPITALITY/TOURISM DEGREE
Year I First Semester
- Select 3 Hours (General Education Math) 3 cr.
- FSS-1223C - Food Preparation for Managers 4 cr.
- HFT-1000 - Introduction to Hospitality 3 cr.
- ENC-1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- HFT-1410 - Front Desk Procedures 3 cr.
- SYG-2000 - Introduction to Sociology 3 cr.
- FSS-2120 - Food Purchasing/Storage 3 cr.
- HFT-2530 - Merchandising/Advertising 3 cr.
- FSS-2100 - Food Plans and Menu Preparation 3 cr.
- ECO-2023 - Principles of Microeconomics 3 cr.
- ENC-1102 - English Composition II 3 cr.
Year II First Semester
- HFT-2750 - Convention Management 3 cr.
- ACG-2021 - Financial Accounting 3 cr.
- HFT-2210 - Supervisory Development 3 cr.
- HFT-2600 - Hospitality Law 3 cr.
- HFT-2941 - Hospitality Internship 3 cr.
- FSS-1500 - Food and Beverage Control 3 cr.
- HFT-1790 - The Event Industry 3 cr.
- HFT-2840 - Maitre D’ and Dining Room 3 cr.
- SY-2012 - General Psychology 3 cr.
- Select 3 hours from General Education (Humanities list) 3 cr.