We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about the College from academics to affordability and beyond.
Our campus has grown from a mere seven acres to a larger campus, comprised of eighteen buildings situated on 400 acres.
FORESTRY TECHNOLOGY (A.A.S.)
The Forestry Technology program is for students wishing to enter directly into the workforce upon receipt of the A.A.S. degree. The program is designed to help students acquire technical knowledge, understanding, and abilities in the principles and practices involved in the production and utilization of forests and the conservation of water resources. Graduates should be qualified to enter into positions as forest technicians with state and federal forestry agencies and private forest industries.
The student will be able to:
- Describe the principles and terminology of forestry/wildlife/fisheries management.
- Utilize the tools of forest management such as map making, map reading, aerial photography interpretation, and area determinations.
- Demonstrate proper use of forest management equipment such as magnetic compass, clinometer, Biltmore Stick, angle gauges & prisms, hypsometers, and proper pacing techniques.
- Describe the best management practices (BMP’s) associated with forestry.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify trees and fruit for at least 75 species of East Tennessee.
- IDSTU 1001 or 1003 – College Foundations 1 or 3
- ENGL 1010-1020 – Freshman Composition I & II 6
- COMM 2120 – Oral Communication 3
- CIS 1100 or CIS 1020 3
- MATH 1000 and MATH 1005 6
- Any Literature (except 2900 & 3320) 3
- RELI 2210 or 2220 3
- Select from History, Geography, Economics, 3 Psychology, Sociology, or Political Science
- Any activity course 1
Total General Education Required Hours 31-33
Specified Hours in the Major (38 s.h.)
- AGRI 2123 – Intro to Agribusiness Management 3
- FORES 1010 – Intro to Forestry, Wildlife, Fisheries 4
- FORES 1020 – Dendrology 4
- FORES 1110 – Forest Mensuration 4
- FORES 1120 – Forest Ecology 4
- FORES 2015 – Forest Insects and Diseases 3
- FORES 2020 – Wildlife and Fisheries Management 4
- FORES 2110 – Silviculture/Forest Management 4
- FORES 2120 – Forest Recreation 3
- FORES 2310-2320 – Forestry Internship 4
Total Specified Hours in the Major 37
Total Hours Required for Graduation 68-70
Hiwassee College is a place where learning comes in the classroom, but more importantly it comes from real-world experience. You may be surprised how little you see the desk in front of you. Learning is more than hands-on. It’s real life.
With every corner you turn, you will find adventure. Athletics your thing? We’ve got almost every sport available and are always looking for talented new athletes. More the outdoorsy type? Here, you may find yourself rafting down a river of rapids, hiking a challenging trail, or simply taking in the majesty of the beautiful countryside.
The following list of colleges and universities have verified that they will accept Hiwassee College’s credits either as direct transfer or case-by-case basis. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is an excellent set of options for students who are earning dual enrollment credits.
- Brevard College
- Bryan College
- Carson-Newman University
- Christian Brothers University
- Clemson University
- Cumberland University
- East Tennessee State Univeristy
- Emory & Henry College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Kentucky State University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Maryville College
- Milligan College
- Samford University
- St. Petersburg College
- Tennessee Technological University
- Tennessee Wesleyan College
- Trevecca Nazarene University
- Trine University
- Tusculum College
- University of the Cumberlands
- University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville
About the School
We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about t ... Read More