Associate of Arts in Human Services
The Assessment Plan for the Audrey Cohen School of Human Services and Education (ACSHSE) serves to employ and fulfill the MCNY Strategic Plan 2009-2014, sub-goal 1.A.4 to "create and implement a comprehensive plan to assess program specific outcomes, dimensional outcomes across programs, and the systematic application of PCE (Purpose-Centered Education)". Additionally, ACSHSE will seek to satisfy the accrediting bodies of Middle States Commission on Higher Education and of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards pertaining to assessment of student learning. Compliance with the assessment standards for satisfaction of the accrediting bodies pertaining to the programs in ACSHSE was a major contributing factor in the design, planning and implementation of a formal assessment plan. ACSHSE has adopted the recommended four-step planning process as highlighted by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education: (1) Define clear goals; (2) Implementation of strategies to achieve stated goals; (3) Assessment of the achievement of stated goals; and (4) use of results and data from assessment to inform curricula updates/revisions (Assessing Student Learning, 2005).
Assessment Implementation & Analysis for Program Improvement
There are five major phases of the learning outcome assessment process:
- Learning Objectives Review - A review of the learning objectives found in the syllabi will be conducted to determine the measurability of the objectives and, if not, correct would be documented to proceed further.
- Assessment/Instruments - A review of the assessment instruments to determine that they are reflective of program and course goals and provide data for curriculum enhancement.
- Analysis of Data and Presentation of Findings - Present findings on how effective was the learning as inferred by an analysis of the assessment instruments.
- Report on the entire process which includes review and modifications made to learning objectives, topics, assessment instruments throughout the process and compiled containing recommendations for course and programs improvements.
- Reiterate Assessment - Reiterate the entire process of the same course and/or program objectives to ensure effectiveness of changes.
About this Program
In just 16 months you can earn your Associate of Arts degree in Human Services and obtain valuable experience by participating in up to 3 different internship opportunities.
MCNY offers convenient day, evening and weekend schedules, as well as a range of online learning courses. Students can attend part-time or full-time.
This program exposes students to the field of human services and possible career paths. In addition, this degree can be a stepping-stone to a bachelor's degree. In fact, students who successfully complete the requirements for graduation are eligible for further matriculation into the Bachelor of Professional Studies in Human Services.
You will learn the basic skills needed to begin your career and potential employers will view your degree as evidence of your commitment to this field.
Statistics and Facts for Human Services
Your Associate or Bachelor's degree from MCNY in Human Services can open the door to new or advanced careers at better pay. Your degree will prepare you for people-centered work in public, private and not-for-profit organizations.
The New York State Department of Labor projections for 2006 to 2016 for positions in the Human Service field throughout the state indicate the following trends in employment:
- Human Resources Managers positions will increase by 8.7%
- Human Resources Training and Labor Relations Specialists jobs will grow by 6.6%
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists occupations will increase by 16.4%
- Educational, Vocational and School Counselor positions will increase by 8% and mental health counselors by 23.4%
- Pre School and Child Care Center positions will increase by 10.2%
- Counselor, Social Worker and other community and social service specialist positions will grow by 12.4%
- Community and Social Service occupations will increase by 12.5%
- Social Human Service Assistant jobs will grow by 17.4%
- Substance Abuse Counselors will increase by 21%
- Health Care Support occupations will grow by 27.5%
- Law Enforcement Workers will increase by 3%
- Paralegal and Legal Assistant positions will grow by 20.5%
- Religious Worker positions will increase by 15.8%
Now is the time to take advantage of opportunities at MCNY that will place you in the forefront of the market for jobs in the field of your choice.
Last updated December 6, 2017