Associate of Arts (Business) Degree
The Associate of Arts (Business) Degree is a two-year undergraduate degree offered by many institutions in the province of British Columbia and beyond. The Associate Degree program is designed to provide broad-based knowledge and experiences in preparation for entering the workforce, or as a foundation for further undergraduate study.
Students within the Associate of Arts (Business) Degree program will gain multi-disciplinary knowledge in the faculties of economics, management, accounting, marketing, and statistical analysis, and will develop their critical thinking and research skills. The program also includes a customizable concentration in economics, which allows students to further explore economic theory and applications in conjunction with selected topics related to commerce
The Associate of Arts (Business) Degree is a foundational degree consisting of 64 credits in total, typically completed over a two-year period. Program requirements include a minimum of 24 credits in economics and a minimum of 12 credits in Commerce.
Upon completion of the Associate of Arts (Business) Degree program, students may choose to enter the workforce or continue their undergraduate studies. An Associate of Arts (Business) Degree may be transferrable to the third year of a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a university. Some BC universities also admit Associate Degree graduates at a reduced GPA requirement. For more information on the option of transferring to a university upon completion of an Associate of Arts Degree, please consult the BC Transfer Guide or see an Academic Advisor.
International students completing the Associate of Arts (Business) Degree program at Alexander College are also eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
The Associate of Arts (Business) degree program develops broad-based academic skills in the following areas:
- Reading comprehension
- Written and oral communication
- Mathematical and scientific reasoning
- Computer and technological literacy
- Research and evaluative skills
- Analysis, synthesis, and integration of knowledge
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Application of theoretical understanding to practice
- Collaborative and team-based experience
Specifically, the Associate of Arts (Business) degree program provides experience and aptitudes in the following areas:
- Knowledge of economic theory
- Familiarity with the applications of economics
- Knowledge of organizational behavior and human resource management
- Understanding of the relationship between commerce/industry and economics
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to apply quantitative skills to business subjects
The Associate of Arts (Business) degree program consists of the following course requirements, which must be completed with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater.
I. 6 credits in first-year English
II. 9 credits in science which shall include at least:
- 6 credits in mathematics (including statistics courses taught in subject areas of commerce and psychology)
- 3 credits in a laboratory science
III. 12 credits in arts
IV. 24 credits in economics, including 18 credits in second-year economics
V. 12 credits in commerce, including courses in management, finance, accounting, and marketing
A concentration in Business allows students to explore their specific interests in the field, and makes possible a variety of career opportunities. This degree can also qualify graduates for positions that demand greater responsibility than those achievable with a high school diploma.
With an Associate of Arts (Business) Degree, students can seek entry-level employment in advertising, banking, retail, business services, e-commerce, and marketing. Examples of positions in these sectors include, but are not limited to:
- Accounting assistant
- Administrative assistant
- Assistant manager
- Bank teller
- Bookkeeping assistant
- Customer service representative
- Human resources assistant
- Marketing assistant
- Office assistant