Program and Objectives
The Associate of Applied Science Degree program in Culinary Arts with an emphasis in Korean Cuisine is a 92-unit program defined by curriculum with courses of rigorous culinary training, food business management, and study of social and scientific aspects of food. This program focuses on providing hands-on experience of Korean culinary practices along with a profound understanding of the nature of Korean food and ingredients. For successful completion of the program, students fulfill 24 units of General Education requirement in the areas of English, social science, humanity and math and science abided by the institutionally enforced general education requirements for associate degree programs. For the students who are fluent in Korean, the English Proficiency requirement will be waived. (The program is prepared in English and Korean).
The program is six (6) quarters in length. Part-time students are granted four (4) years or 12 quarters to complete the program. Students must obtain at least a 2.0 GPA (a “C”) in all courses completed upon which the degree is based.
The program is offered only at the Garden Grove Campus location.
Admission is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Persons who possess a high school diploma, a California high school proficiency exam certification, or a General Education Development (GED) certificate with an average score of 45 or higher.
- Possess a Home Study Certificate or transcript from a home study program that is equivalent to high school level that is recognized by the state of California.
- If the person is beyond the age of compulsory high school attendance (18) but does not possess a high school diploma or equivalent, he/she may be admitted by the University on provisional admission status.
- Applicants who have completed high school, but are under 18 years old, may be admitted provided they will be 18 years old by the commencement of the fourth quarter of the program. A parent, legal guardian or spouse of legal age is required to cosign the Enrollment Agreement.
- International students must meet the university’s international students’ entrance requirements. See catalog section International Students – F-1 Visa Students.
A candidate for the Associate of Applied Science degree shall have:
- Successfully complete a minimum 92 quarter units of the A.A.S degree in KCA coursework, with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Successfully complete the degree requirements within the Maximum Time Frame (MTF) allowed for the A.A.S degree, which is 1.5 times the program length. The program is normally six (6) quarters in length.
- File all the necessary graduation forms in accordance with the timetable provided by the Department of Korean Culinary Art.
- Settle all financial obligations to the University.