The Hospitality and Tourism program is designed to provide job training for entry-level and first line supervisory level positions in the hospitality/visitor industry. Offering educational training in the field of hospitality/visitor industry will ensure a skilled pool of workers is continuously available to meet the industry’s employment demand on the Island of Hawai‘i. Additionally, making a career path possible to local workers strengthens the human assets of our community. The program was established to:
- Meet the growing needs of the hotels and related hospitality/visitor organizations by training existing and future employees in basic skills needed to obtain entry-level and supervisory positions.
- Provide job upgrading skills necessary for career advancement in the hospitality/visitor industry.
- Develop skills in verbal and written communication.
- Develop skills in distance learning that will promote lifelong learning.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion, students are prepared to:
- Effectively and purposely use verbal and nonverbal language about Hospitality and Tourism topics with confidence, and appropriate to the audience.
- Use critical thinking skills to effectively synthesize and evaluate information from assigned readings and articles through written memos, reports, reflective notes, and essay exams.
- Conduct presentation projects that include Internet research and visual media.
- Interact with others through team-building speeches and visual-oral presentations, which are designed to promote teamwork solutions and teach teamwork principles. Values such as respect for diversity, the need for fairness, empathy, and human dignity are stressed.
- Demonstrate self-management related to the Hospitality Industry through practices that promote physical, mental, and emotional health.
About the School
Aloha, and welcome to Hawai'i Community College. Hawai'i CC is a two-year community college on Hawai'i Island. The college is based in Hilo with a new branch campus in Kona named Hawai'i Community Col ... Read More