Associate in Applied Science
- Career Pathway: Engineering, Manufacturing and Industrial Technology
- Career Cluster: Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
NOTE: This program is certified by the National Institute for Automotive Excellence for ASE Master Technician certification. Individuals possessing ASE certifications should consult with a program advisor for exemption from certain AUTO classes. This curriculum prepares the students for employment as an automotive service technician in various settings such as automobile dealerships, independent service facilities, franchised repair facilities and specialty shops. Salary ranges vary depending upon the type of position obtained, field of choice and geographic region. Students interested in pursuing a Bachelor’s degree through Ferris State University or other four year institutions should contact their program advisor for specifics. For further information on the Ferris State University Bachelor’s degree programs contact the Ferris State University Coordinator.
- Students prepare for mechanic certification at various points in the curriculum. Please see the program advisor for certification specifications.
- Students will need to demonstrate proficiencies in mathematics, reading, English and basic computer literacy based on SMC assessment tests, ACT or SAT scores, or by taking the recommended courses.
- Some of the courses in this curriculum have specific prerequisites that may not be listed as part of the degree requirements. These are described in the course descriptions.
- ACE Testing, which grants students credit for demonstration of skills mastery, is also available at the Testing Center for a number of courses.
General Education Requirements
- The general education courses listed for this degree require a C (2.0) or better for graduation. See “General Education Requirements” for more information and a full listing of all general education courses.
About the School
Since joining the ranks of other prestigious Michigan colleges in 1964, Southwestern Michigan College has continually expanded its curriculum and now offers more than 30 Associate degrees. Accredited ... Read More