The cosmetology program at SCCC gives students the opportunity to develop a wide variety of technical skills in hair design, nail technology, and skin care. through classroom and clinical instruction, students learn the latest in cutting, style, color and hair care techniques; pedicures, manicures, tips, and nail techniques; and facials, waxing, makeup, and skincare techniques.
Opened in July 2001, the 6,000 square foot building is located at the northwest corner of campus and is equipped with well-lit parking for students and customers, and offers designated handicapped parking. The cosmetology school's salon clinic has a comfortable reception area which includes a large display of professional retail products.
The main clinic area includes stylist's workstations, a shampoo area, hair dryers, a professional brow bar and make-up station, and a well-stocked dispensary. A separate facial room and waxing station accommodates all customer facial and hair removal services. Students receive training with Guest Vision professional software which is used to schedule appointments, record client service history, maintain inventory, and track student procedures. A second clinic area includes state of the art spa pedicure chairs with massage and manicure tables. This clinic is also used as a second classroom which enables the Cosmetology Program to hold two concurrent cosmetology classes. Students are also provided with a breakroom equipped with vending machines, refrigerator and microwave and a student locker area.
The cosmetology program's mission is to provide comprehensive learning through innovative and quality-focused services that advance the economic career opportunities for students and meet the desires and demands of the industry, businesses, and the community.
The following application process must be completed for all Cosmetology applicants:
- Fill out a Seward County Community College Application for Admission
- Complete the Application for Enrollment—Cosmetology form
- Complete a Scholarship/Grant Application
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Cosmetology only).
- Meet with Financial Aid, and then submit the signed Financial Aid Interview form to the cosmetology department.
- Make an appointment with the Admissions Office to take the Accuplacer test or submit your ASSET scores.
- You will need to provide the following documentation: a copy of your high school transcript or GED, a copy of all college transcripts, and a cover letter telling us about yourself and why you have chosen the SCCC Cosmetology Program.
Acceptance of students into the Cosmetology program is dependent upon available openings and the applicant's performance on Accuplacer. The applicant may need to upgrade reading and writing skills prior to being admitted to the program.
Two basic 1,500-hour Cosmetology classes are accepted annually, with one class beginning in August and one class beginning in January.
Applicants for the cosmetology program should apply no later than June 1 for the August start class and November 1 for the January start class.
If the following was not submitted at enrollment, please be advised on the first day of class, a copy of your Driver's License or other valid state photo ID, as well as your official high school transcript in a sealed envelope, will be required to complete the application for the cosmetology apprentice license.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 13, 2018