Farming with technology
Do you love technology, solving science problems, and working outside? Parkland's precision agriculture program results in diverse career opportunities for graduates. Employment opportunities are abundant in roles such as precision agriculture technicians, research scientist, crop specialists, etc., who work with soil testing companies, crop consulting firms, and fertilizer and chemical companies. Working in agriculture doesn't always mean farming. Farmers need help making important decisions about what crops to plant, what and how much chemicals to use, and how to improve yield. Precision ag graduates earn a two-year associate in applied science degree that allows them to go right to work helping to feed America!
One of a kind
Parkland College is the only community college in Illinois to offer this high tech, hands-on career program. With a 20-year history of training precision agronomists, we've built a strong regional reputation, and our employer partners are eager to hire Parkland graduates. All residents of Illinois are able to enroll in Precision Ag at the in-district tuition rate. Out-of-district residents will need to complete Career Agreement paperwork to obtain this generous discount. Tuition, fees, and textbooks for the two-year program will total less than $14,000.
Early college opportunity
High school students can enroll in AGB 110 - Intro to Precision Agriculture, an online dual enrollment course. Learn more here!
National Science Foundation Grant recipient
Parkland's Precision Agriculture Curriculum Enhancement (PACE) project meets the need of a growing U.S. industry by focusing on precision agriculture education among high schools, two-year colleges, and nearby four-year universities in Illinois.
Goals and objectives of NSF Grant:
- Improve and expand precision agriculture education for two-year colleges;
- Improve and expand precision agriculture education opportunities at area high schools;
- Improve compatibility between a two-year college and four-year university precision agriculture curriculum.
Offering more than 100 Associates Degree and Certificate programs, Parkland College is well known for its small class sizes, state-of-the-art facilities, inclusive learning environment, and personable faculty. Parkland boasts the largest international student body of any 2-year college in the state of Illinois, with more than 300 students representing more than 40 countries.
The Associate Degree offers an ideal and inexpensive doorway for international students wanting to enter the American education system. Having worked to perfect their English language skills through the English as a Second Language (ESL) program or earned two years-worth of transferable credits, many of Parkland’s international students then transfer on to 4-year universities (2+2 transfer) around the United States, where they continue their educations, earning Baccalaureate and graduate degrees.
Parkland College faculty are well accustomed to the challenges faced by international students are experienced in dealing with them. Parkland strives to enhance global awareness and multiculturalism through education and faculty welcome the perspective brought by international students in their classes.
Why Choose Parkland College
- Small class sizes and a personalized education
- Intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program for non-English speakers
- Complete two years and transfer credits to a 4-year university
- In the same city as the University of Illinois, a top research university
- Around ½ the yearly cost of 4-year universities
- A diverse international student population, more than 300 international students
- Faculty focus on global awareness and multiculturalism
- Stand out!
Parkland College’s Precision Agriculture Technology program is at the forefront of incorporating current technology applications for agriculture modernization. As the agricultural needs of society grow along with the rise in agricultural mapping technologies, so do the variety of career options in agriculture. That is why Parkland is committed to providing students with the necessary training and skills to ensure they have successful and plentiful careers after finishing their studies.
Unmanned aerial systems in agriculture can be used for agricultural production and management, including pest scouting, site-specific pesticide application, yield mapping, or irrigation. The ability of unmanned aerial systems in agriculture to analyze and manage crops is the future of agriculture and will have positive environmental, economic, and social impacts. Precision Agriculture is an emerging career that is anticipated to account for 80% of all unmanned aerial systems in the U.S. With Parkland’s excellent agriculture, aviation, and geographic information system (GIS) programs, Parkland is situated to be on the cutting edge of unmanned aerial systems use in precision agriculture. According to the American Association for Geographers, precision agriculture jobs are projected to grow by as much as 14%.
The Precision Agriculture Technology program at Parkland College is a two-year program that prepares students for positions which require the use of current technologies such as GPS, GIS, and computer software programs. Parkland’s agriculture program features hands-on instruction in a 42-acre land laboratory, a greenhouse, and modern classroom space. These resources allow students to prepare for positions with soil testing companies, crop consulting firms, fertilizer and chemical retailers, and more.
- AGB 102 Introduction to Agricultural Economics
- AGB 103 Introduction to Crop Science
- AGB 105 Agricultural Applications of the Computer
- AGB 112 Concepts in Agriculture
- AGB 135 Agricultural Business Management I
- AGB 191 Agri-Business Work Exploration
- AGB 200 Introduction to Soil Science
- AGB 211 Plant Pest Identification and Control
- AGB 213 Soil Fertility and Fertilizers
- AGB 214 Precision Farming Technology
- AGB 215* Applications of Geographic Information Systems
- AGB 232 Agricultural Business and Farm Management
- AGB 252 Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- AGB 290 Agri-Business Seminar
- AGB 291 Agri-Business Work Experience
- GIS 115 Remote Sensing and Aerial Photo Interpretation