Nurture your future
Careers in horticulture are as diverse as the plants we work with! Our programs can teach you to nurture seedlings, grow food, design landscapes, create floral masterpieces, and construct hardscapes. Students have the option to begin in short-term certificate programs or start with an associate degree and transfer to a four-year institution. The curriculum focuses on hands-on learning to prepare you for your future career.
Landscape and Urban Horticulture focuses on the design and installation of hardscapes and plant material to create beautiful outdoor spaces for commercial and residential projects. The program develops students' landscape construction skills alongside plant cultivation and maintenance skills. Learn more about career options.
Plant the seeds
Do you love playing in the dirt and watching your work grow? You'll love taking horticulture classes at our Prairie Gardens Plant Lab and growing produce in our sustainable garden. Green thumb not required. Students learn the full life cycle of plant production; plant seedlings in the Greenhouse and nurture them to adulthood, then sell them to excited customers at our annual plant sale. Plant identification, pest and disease control, and pruning techniques are taught in this hands-on, career-focused program. Learn more about careers in horticulture.
You bring your artistic flair and love of plants and we'll provide the plant materials with which to create your floral masterpieces. Students learn the elements of creating attractive floral arrangements including wreaths, bouquets, corsages, and centerpieces. Graduates will be well-versed in cost estimating, bow-tying, and specialty techniques so they can go right to work!
The Landscape Design, Construction, and Management degree prepares students for various careers in the landscape industry. Students will learn the latest standards and techniques in the design of landscape projects for residential and commercial applications and practical methods of constructing and maintaining those projects. Our graduates are employed in landscape companies, turf and garden centers, park districts, and sports facilities, many other horticulture/landscape-related businesses.
- HRT 114 Introduction to Turfgrass Management
- HRT 116 Introduction to Landscape Design
- HRT 118 Horticulture Equipment Operation
- HRT 119 Landscape Construction and Maintenance
- HRT 211 Pest Management and Pruning Principles
- HRT 253 Herbaceous Plants
- HRT 254 Woody Ornamentals
- HRT 255 Landscape Graphic Design
- HRT 256 Landscape Planting Design
- HRT 257 Horticulture Business Management
- HRT 270 Greenhouse Crop Production
Offering more than 100 Associates Degree and Certificate programs, Parkland College is well known for its small class sizes, state-of-the-art facilities, inclusive learning environment, and personable faculty. Parkland boasts the largest international student body of any 2-year college in the state of Illinois, with more than 300 students representing more than 40 countries.
The Associate Degree offers an ideal and inexpensive doorway for international students wanting to enter the American education system. Having worked to perfect their English language skills through the English as a Second Language (ESL) program or earned two years-worth of transferable credits, many of Parkland’s international students then transfer on to 4-year universities (2+2) transfer around the United States, where they continue their educations, earning Baccalaureate and graduate degrees.
Parkland College faculty are well accustomed to the challenges faced by international students are experienced in dealing with them. Parkland strives to enhance global awareness and multiculturalism through education and faculty welcome the perspective brought by international students in their classes.
Why Choose Parkland College:
- Small class sizes and a personalized education
- Intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program for non-English speakers
- Complete two years and transfer credits to a 4-year university
- In the same city as the University of Illinois, a top research university
- Around ½ the yearly cost of 4-year universities
- A diverse international student population, more than 300 international students
- Faculty focus on global awareness and multiculturalism
- Stand out!