EXPLORE DESIGN STRATEGIES AND ARTISTIC APPROACHES IN ARCHITECTURE!
The course »Architectural Design« explores architectural concepts through class presentations, on-site visits, and studio practice. Each class examines particular building types, design principles and methodologies, leading to practical design techniques. In daily tasks, spatial strategies will be applied in artistic ways.
Design principles such as Open Plan, Inner courtyard, Shifting Storeys and Mass and Space will be explored, and applied in architectural model making and sculpturing by using a variety of materials. Examples of contemporary European architecture will be discussed and visited in this course. Various spatial strategies will be explored in practical tasks and lead to the final design project of the course: an Art Museum in Weimar.
The final design project focusses on the connection of inner and outer spaces, the arrival and opening situation of the building, the spatial links of exhibition spaces, the opening and sight concept, and the light situation. The course “Design Principles in Architecture” supports the understanding of spatial qualities, explores design strategies in architecture, and improves the personal design competence.
The course opens up new design ideas that can be used in architectural practice. Therefore public buildings will be visited and analysed, and various architectural design principles will be explored and applied. The course supports students’ in their creative development and increases the design quality of their architectural projects.
The course language is English.
Certificate & Credit Points
After successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of participation. It will show the course title, the date and duration of the course, the number of contact hours as well as the main contents and topics.
Participants will earn 3 credit points (ECTS) if they present a detailed design proposal and a concept paper at the end of the course.
The course takes place all day from Monday until Friday. It is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons to receive credit points.
This course is especially oriented towards students of Architecture, and related areas of study, and is open to all students with a general interest in designing architecture.
Interest to explore new strategies in the architectural design process
- Active participation in the course with practical design tasks such as object, collage, and architecture model
- Development of a final design project with architectural drawings and model
- Portfolio of the personal design process in the tutorial and design project
The course language in English. Therefore good command of English is required.
1. Online Registration
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2017 as one pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae: max. two pages
- Portfolio: Three design projects that show your interest in architecture and spatial strategies
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
Please note the following points:
- Only one pdf file (max. 5 MB)
- Email with subject »Application Architectural Design«
- Name of pdf file »Architectural_Design_family name_first name«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 15 May 2017 via e-mail and will have to confirm participation within 3 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
After you have confirmed your participation you will receive the invoice for your specialised course until the end of May.
If you need a VISA, we recommend to inform now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee is 700 EURO.
- 500 EURO for students & alumni
- 300 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Programme according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying programme (except excursions)
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar