L.E.A.P. (Learning English for Academic and Professional Purposes) is located on Wright State University’s main campus in Dayton, Ohio. L.E.A.P. provides full-time intensive English instruction and offers non-native speakers the linguistic, academic and social skills they need to be successful in an American university. Students come to L.E.A.P. for a variety of reasons. Some studies in L.E.A.P. for a short time to improve their English language skills; others seek degrees from Wright State University.
- An integrated curriculum reinforces input and results in greater retention.
- TOEFL waiver for admission to Wright State University for qualified undergraduate and graduate students who successfully complete the L.E.A.P. program. Visit the University Center for International Education Admissions page to find out the admission criteria for available programs.
- Test Preparation course offered to Level 4 students to practice for IELTS and TOEFL tests.
- Experienced faculty, all with advanced degrees in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or a related field and experience teaching English at the university level.
- Writing classes in computer labs using the latest computer technology.
- Collaboration with Wright State University’s TESOL Program and many university courses.
- Field trips to local sites of interest and other extracurricular activities.
- Access to all Wright State University’s academic and recreational facilities.
L.E.A.P. offers four levels of instruction:
- Level 1 (High Beginning)
- Level 2 (Low Intermediate / Intermediate)
- Level 3 (High Intermediate)
- Level 4 (Advanced)
L.E.A.P. provides opportunities for enhanced learning:
- Grammar and Pronunciation workshops offered by the TESOL Program
- Individual weekly tutoring in the L.E.A.P. Learning Center (LLC)
- Weekly meetings with conversation partners
All applications and documents must be submitted online.
- There is a $10 charge for the L.E.A.P. application.
- There is a $30 charge for the Undergraduate application.
- There is a $40 charge for the Graduate application.
For applicants applying from outside the United States, be sure to include your international address and your email address. To complete the application, upload the following documents:
- photocopy of the information page of your passport
- transcripts from other ESL programs (transfer students only)
- proof of high school graduation (certificate/diploma)
- Fall Semester: May 30
- Spring Semester: September 30
- Summer Semester: February 28
Applicants must apply online. L.E.A.P. does not accept handwritten applications. Applications must come from applicants and be signed by applicants. The application is a legal document and may not be submitted by friends, family members, or fellow students. All international applicants to L.E.A.P. must be at least 18 years old at the start of the program and be able to provide proof of high school completion.
Status updates for an applicant will be provided only to embassies, sponsors, and applicants themselves. Friends, family members, and fellow students may not request or receive applicant admission status updates.
Program taught in: